Winter Greens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Mary

I was thinking that they looked "ripped to shreds" after washing. Debated posting a picture :).

They were fresh, anyway!

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Damn aphids.

Well, I had one potted jalapeno that was doing pretty well outside during the end of the growing season that I brought inside to my tent when the weather got cold. It apparently had some hitchhikers that I didn't notice the signs of and this past week I realized the mistake I made. While doing normal "how are you guys doing?" stuff I noticed a few leaves of another jalapeno plant growing in that tell-tale "I'm getting munched on by aphids" way and while taking action on that I happened to peek into my spinach and saw the terrible situation I had there. I ended up taking all three pots of spinach out of the tent and tossing them :(

Damn aphids.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sprig, I had that problem with peppers I'd brought inside for the winter. The aphids were on my water lilies as well. I went Asian ladybird hunting at my neighbor's house and brought home a dozen or so beetles. Within a short time the aphids were mere piles of beetle poo and my plants were aphid-free.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm willing to spray but know that some people will bring a bucket into the house, fill it with soapy water, and submerge their house plants for a few minutes.

The bugs had absolutely nowhere to hide with that technique.

With no shower after their dunk in the suds, the experience is likely to be terminal for them.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup you gotta love winter greens.....
DSC_0025.JPG

wonder why the lawn inside the bed area is so green....:lol:

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm willing to spray but know that some people will bring a bucket into the house, fill it with soapy water, and submerge their house plants for a few minutes.

The bugs had absolutely nowhere to hide with that technique.

With no shower after their dunk in the suds, the experience is likely to be terminal for them.

Steve

I've done that before -- flipped the plant upside down in a 5gal bucket for a minute. Might need to do that again. Is it the soap that kills them or the drowning?

Sprig, I had that problem with peppers I'd brought inside for the winter. The aphids were on my water lilies as well. I went Asian ladybird hunting at my neighbor's house and brought home a dozen or so beetles. Within a short time the aphids were mere piles of beetle poo and my plants were aphid-free.

I brought that up before to the Mrs and she gave me a look (you know the look), so I don't think releasing any ladybugs in my house, even if it is only in my tent, will be happening while I still breath atmosphere.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed that insecticidal soap kills aphids much better when I can get plants out of the greenhouse with it's high humidity and into the outdoor air. Even during the springtime, the afternoon humidity will fall below 40%. The aphids die outdoors after spraying much better than in the greenhouse.

Of course, there can't be too much of a temperature difference or I can't bring them out. And, the plants cannot be in the direct sun.

The best case is that they really dodge the aphids.

Steve

Latest posts