Winter Splendor!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
When chickweed is young and tender, try a bite with your sandwich sometime. You will be surprised! For the tea made with rose hips, I just cut them in half, discarded the seeds and dried them. Then I put 2 tbsp into a cup of boiling water. Turn the heat as low as you can and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the rosehips off. Then I added a green tea bag to the homemade rosehip tea.
Thanks for that info. There are a lot of wild roses here, I'll make a point of harvesting some rose hips next year. Wish I had some of my Grandmother's old roses; those were bushy, and had grown into a 6-8' patch, loaded with large hips (and surrounded on 3 sides by raspberries). Sadly, that land is now owned by others... it was my childhood Narnia. :(

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you live dangerously! Eat some chickweed!
I am always looking for new plants to snack on while I am out in the garden, and never would have considered nibbling on chickweed; will have to give that a try. Had no idea that Claytonia could be foraged wild around here either. I have fall planted it in my garden for the last couple of years, and am always amazed how it kind of sits there and does nothing-- and then explodes in to growth when the weather warms up in spring. It is really a pretty plant for the front of the border, and the little girl next door loves picking it. She says it looks like little popsicles.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickweed salad mixed with lettuce and dried, crumbled tomatoes.

B6ABFECB-1C5E-4F77-A16A-8DB7C7A5B855.jpeg

Chickweed tacos

1A3920FB-6D1E-4264-A00B-1B6ED4FE4049.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was growing in the compost pile. Poor soil, little chickweed. Rich soil and that stuff is scrumptious!

i was going to say that ours is normally mostly stem, flowers and seeds and rarely looks that nice where i'd want to pick it and eat it. except in a few gardens with better soil it goes crazy rather quickly...

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to pick chickweed for my budgies. I never thought about picking it for myself. I’m going to have to look at it differently next spring when it grows again.
Our chickweed here in the PNW looks way different from these pics. I'll post a pic below of what ours looks like.