Winter Splendor!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks the same. The picture you posted was a growing patch, the pictures I posted were picked and made into a salad and tacos.

It looks the same. The picture you posted was a growing patch, the pictures I posted were picked and made into a salad and tacos.
Oh, woops! I probably didn't have my most powerful glasses on when looking at the two pics! Lol!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have the Anna's Hummingbirds that overwinter in British Columbia--- however they sometimes need a bit of assistance to get through the really cold snaps. Last week the little guy was trying to drink from a frozen bottle and we didn't want it to starve, so we bought a warmer for the feeder. The bird is now able to drink, and is at the feeder constantly. Another bonus is that we only have to refill the feeder about once a week. It is so peaceful to watch him up close, through the kitchen window.

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_161505049~2.jpg
    IMG_20221220_161505049~2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20221220_161701980~2.jpg
    IMG_20221220_161701980~2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 63

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want a hummingbird to look at out the kitchen window this Winter.

The quail have lately been back in the yard. Scared off that ubiquitous neighborhood tomcat the other day that was trying to sneak up on them.

I have become confused as to which thread is the "chickweed" one.

Chickweed is a common weed where it can find shade in my garden.

Miners lettuce is related as are some others in N America but is "native to the western mountain and coastal regions of North America," as Wikipedia tells us.

Picture from the mountains in Nevada:
791px-Claytonia_perfoliata_ssp_intermontana_7.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want a hummingbird to look at out the kitchen window this Winter.

The quail have lately been back in the yard. Scared off that ubiquitous neighborhood tomcat the other day that was trying to sneak up on them.

I have become confused as to which thread is the "chickweed" one.
That looks like "True Miners Lettuce.". We have "Siberian Miners Lettuce" and the True varieties. The True Miners Lettuce is easy to spot because it looks a bit different. There most often is a circular leaf on the stem with a tini flower coming up out of the center of that round leaf. The round leaf can get to be the size of a silver dollar sometimes in the early summer! They are tastier, though, when they are young.

Latest posts