words that ramble

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
With technology, people have an easier (note not easy) time coping and adapting. Really makes me appreciate the people in past who worked/survived without these advantages. As someone born with no problems, I am amazed how some work around their obstacles.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am likely to try again with the hearing aids.

The last set are old. I have noticed some things about my hearing since I've stopped wearing them. One is that problems I blamed on the aids seem to be problems I have without them. Can't hold the noise in my ears against them. Altho' . . . they used to mask the tinnitus with the sound of reality! I could count on them for that until about 10 years ago.

These days, I'm outdoors a lot and sounds just go up! And, every which way - so, hearing aids are little benefit. When I'm with people indoors, there may be accusations of willing ignorance of what they are telling me. Yeah. They've talked around me for years. I have this healthy realization that I am the center of their lives and any scheming probably just has to do with my birthday. What all that would to do with getting me out at the curb on garbage day is beyond me. Probably just be a coincidence.

smiley1753.gif

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have recently started taking lipoflavonoids to treat tinnitus and it seems to work pretty well. Not for the constant crickets, but for the thumping and whooshing sounds that occur when I get still.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the new hearing aids will be coming sooner, rather than later.

People assume that someone with hearing aids has trouble hearing and they will speak more directly and a little louder to them. Someone without hearing aids, or without a head-mounted antenna, or an ear trumpet . . . or something - people assume they have normal hearing. So, they turn away or lower their voice to express confidentiality or whatever and the fence post is left standing there like a dummy wondering . . . "what?"

Yes, I've been to a university for testing etc. That was several years ago and it continued for a couple of years. It was interesting.

The tinnitus isn't terrible. As it got worse, I used to wonder where it was going. Imagining where was kind of frightening. Nah. For me, freeway sounds, go-cart, sometimes aquarium pump :rolleyes:. I get pings & crazy things when I'm really sleepy. Time for bed!

Lipoflavonoids - "specifically to relieve tinnitus" . . ! Wow. Talking to the ENT Doc this winter resulted in zero, nothing, nada - not even a suggestion, only polite interest. Hey look, silence is golden. I paid $, how about a little silence?

Steve

fair weather chicken said:
several things come to mind but i don't want to appear flip. my job seems to stress me just because i let it. so i commune with my pigs and cow. just sitting there and watching them seems to help. . .
I went down to the river today while the sprinklers were running in the garden for a couple of hours. I did some communing with the river and the birds :).

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that the professionals who should know about all the treatments, only know about what they personally do. Their excuses are that:
1: I don't have time to read anything but professional publications. (Neither do I, but I find time if it is important)
2: Those methods are old wives tales, not proven, not scientifically tested. (Of course not; no money in it for the drug companies.)

The lipoflavinoids have been scientifically tested.

The area I live in is known the world over for being a mecca for doctors. Highest prices for medical services, great schools for the kiddos, low crime. We probably have more doctors per capita than any other community. We are not, however, healthier than other places. Just poorer due to paying for all these doctors, if we don't have insurance. Never-the-less, the best treatments for the various "illnesses" that I or my loved ones have, have been researched and insisted on by me. Not the doctors.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the last week -- I've had new hearing aids. "New technology" in a model that has only been available since last fall.

They make a difference but it isn't a 180 turn-around. No, I didn't expect that it would be. One of the big reasons for going over 2 months without using hearing aids. A dose of disappointment every few years (with a high price tag) is a little hard to take. Not getting my hopes up was a good thing.

A little sugar: I can hear the songbirds again and they sound pretty good. Different than years before but sweet. In fact, music sounds better than with the old aids and better than just cranking up the volume to max!

I am hoping to hold on a little better to my use of words - spoken & written. I have communicated with some folks who are profoundly deaf. Even those who are well educated have a very different use of written English. There are very important differences in ability from the general population. Just to "tell it like it is" - deafness is a great barrier to both spoken & written fluency.

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
just be careful where you keep them. My step mom put hers in an empty pill bottle and my dad SWALLOWED them!! :gig