Worried for my dog, what weed is this

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dog has a bad habit ,he eats grass and has been eating this unknown weed. I hope someone can tell me if it is poisonous or not.
20200526_154952.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello flower :frow Thanks very much for the answer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Plantain sends white runners underground and spreads. SOME people think they are nice bc they shoot up a violet flower. I think that they are a PIT...neck, and dig them thoroughly out when they come up in my garden beds.
Was your dog acting sickly?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plantain sends white runners underground and spreads. SOME people think they are nice bc they shoot up a violet flower. I think that they are a PIT...neck, and dig them thoroughly out when they come up in my garden beds.
Was your dog acting sickly?
Hi there, thank you for your input. The dog next door was sick, as for my boy, he had a tummy rumblings then didn't want his food and the actual leaves he ate came out in his faeces. He's been losing weight for some time now but I've taken off a raw freeze dry food and he's on mainly a veg lentil and fruit diet, with dog biscuits. I just cannot stop him from picking up food or eating grass. It's a big worry. But I've noticed this weed has spread all over my garden.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I also think that somebody in your neighborhood might be using poison to rid themselves of mice, and that would be my nightmare for my cats who are all inside/outside and hunt across the street, where the house was foreclosed on, and the grass grew into a savanna for awhile.
A dog WILL eat mice, too, or herbicides on their lawn, which can also be ingested.
The plantain won't make a dog or cat sick. I see my cats go outside and eat grass. Same with my dogs. I feed Blue Buffalo, senior and large breed puppy (until July). Sometimes they eat each other's food, but they aren't sick, and Pgy is going on 13yo. Coats are shiny and soft, too.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Up until last year I cooked my dog food, he loves lentils and a variety of different veg fruit with chicken being given a few day a week. Then I tried this wet dog food, he was good at first, Turkey and sweet potato then he went down hill so i tried the freeze dry and veg with more added, he likes porridge. He is really lively for a senior & doesn't appear to be in any pain, but really worried about the weight loss. He's fed a few times a day, has 2 eggs a week. It seems that he is not tolerant to dog food.

Latest posts