Always on gaurd for poison, they put out antifreeze that has killed many an animal around here . Thanks for your pointers will be thinking over on the food front, he used to have liver, but being old maybe that is too rich for him now.I also think that somebody in your neighborhood might be using poison to rid themselves of mice, and that would be my nightmare for my cats who are all inside/outside and hunt across the street, where the house was foreclosed on, and the grass grew into a savanna for awhile.
A dog WILL eat mice, too, or herbicides on their lawn, which can also be ingested.
The plantain won't make a dog or cat sick. I see my cats go outside and eat grass. Same with my dogs. I feed Blue Buffalo, senior and large breed puppy (until July). Sometimes they eat each other's food, but they aren't sick, and Pgy is going on 13yo. Coats are shiny and soft, too.