Worried for my dog, what weed is this

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also think that somebody in your neighborhood might be using poison to rid themselves of mice, and that would be my nightmare for my cats who are all inside/outside and hunt across the street, where the house was foreclosed on, and the grass grew into a savanna for awhile.
A dog WILL eat mice, too, or herbicides on their lawn, which can also be ingested.
The plantain won't make a dog or cat sick. I see my cats go outside and eat grass. Same with my dogs. I feed Blue Buffalo, senior and large breed puppy (until July). Sometimes they eat each other's food, but they aren't sick, and Pgy is going on 13yo. Coats are shiny and soft, too.
Always on gaurd for poison, they put out antifreeze that has killed many an animal around here :( . Thanks for your pointers will be thinking over on the food front, he used to have liver, but being old maybe that is too rich for him now.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have Livestock Guard Dogs. 2 Great Pyrenees, 2 Anatolians and a big black Labrador/Great Dane cross. They get dry kibble, Pedigree. I also can chicken and offal from lambs and pigs we take to slaughter. My husband divides a quart jar between them.

Since your dog is a senior I would cook chicken for him and whatever vegetables you deem to be good for him. I hope he feels better.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have Livestock Guard Dogs. 2 Great Pyrenees, 2 Anatolians and a big black Labrador/Great Dane cross. They get dry kibble, Pedigree. I also can chicken and offal from lambs and pigs we take to slaughter. My husband divides a quart jar between them.

Since your dog is a senior I would cook chicken for him and whatever vegetables you deem to be good for him. I hope he feels better.
Hello baymule :) . Thank you for your reply. I have just picked up a local chicken for him today. He will have this every day now. He became weak on the dog food, he's fine with biscuits but I don't feel they're enough, so add his veggies and he loves various fruits, mango being his favourite.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plantain sends white runners underground and spreads. SOME people think they are nice bc they shoot up a violet flower. I think that they are a PIT...neck, and dig them thoroughly out when they come up in my garden beds.
Was your dog acting sickly?

while plantains can regenerate from bits of roots, they don't really have what i consider runners like some other plants. are you thinking of the fruit plantains or ? anyways, plantains easily set a lot of seeds if you let them spread they can fill in an area rather quickly.

the leaves being prime worm food what i do to clear an area is keep scraping with the stirrup hoe to prevent them from being able to set more seeds. once the stalks have started to come up then i will scrape the plants and then pick up any seed stalks i can before they form seeds or drop seeds. the rest is left on the surface to provide worm food.

the seeds are a food source for birds so i don't mind if i miss a few.

some times, if i feel like doing mental garden therapy i'll take a ground pillow and sit in a garden where these are growing and remove the plants and sit there and pull the leaves off and leave them on the ground, the stalks go in the weed bucket, the plugs from the roots i'll let dry on the surface in the sun. sometimes they may try to regrow but i just keep at them until they give up.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need more stamina. Thank very much for getting back

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He is one loved and well cared for dog!
Loved very much. I had a thorough look at him today, he's slimmer but appears to be really healthy, he outrun a younger dog this morning. He ate his chicken and veg with no problems and then had strawberries and kefir for his last meal. The happiness these animals bring me I cannot even put into words 😻

Latest posts