Worried

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad to hear this turned out well @flowerweaver ! A very difficult situation, and a disease that affects so many individuals and families.

Does he carry a smart phone? His immediate family might be able to use an app (like "find my iPhone") to find him if this happens again. Just what I hope might be a helpful suggestion to reduce the worry.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @PhilaGardener I will ask. I doubt it, at best they were able to trace the use of his gas card at 2:30 am, which makes us think he was driving around all night. He's very stubborn, so a smart phone with an app might be a way to trace him without him knowing it's true purpose.

What is really sobering is the Silver Alert statistics on Wikipedia state 'If not found within 24 hours, up to half of wandering seniors with dementia suffer serious injury or death'. I've also read that people with Alzheimer's tend to wander off between 3 pm and dinner time, it's called sundowning, and that's exactly the time he left.

It's also been a wake up call for our own mental health, since it's thought to be genetic. My husband is a decade and a half younger than his brother. We eat healthy, home grown food, get plenty of exercise, take vitamins, try to always be learning new things, work puzzles.

Latest posts