Worse than new.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I came here at the urging of friends at BackYardHerds. I am 1 year retired, and 1 yr back in the country. Although I grew up rural, I never really experienced "country" living.
I am in the piedmont area of South Carolina, relatively mild climate, and rather hilly terrain.
I am worse than a novice. I've tried backyard gardening a number of times, and failed a like number of times. The only thing I've ever successfully grown is tired.
If you want to learn more about me, look for my upcoming journal. I'm going to start there, because I don't even know enough to ask questions. So I'll just bumble along and maybe you guys will catch my screw ups and help me to avoid or correct my mistakes.
Glad to be here.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined. :frow Pull up a chair, grab an appropriate beverage, put your feet up, and make yourself to home. I think you'll find us a small friendly group that like to tease each other but somebody probably has experience in about growing anything anywhere.

What do you plan to grow, veggies, berries, fruit, nuts, flowers or other pretty things? Any idea how yo want to go about it, traditional in-the-ground, raised beds, containers, hydroponics, or something else. What do you have to work with as far as terrain or soil type? Since you are on herds you probably have animals. Some of us can get excited talking about the possibilities of manure. We love photos any time of the year, but especially this time of year some of our friends up north really enjoy seeing anything with a bit of green in it. ( @seedcorn I'm trying to take care of you)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. The southerners can most assuredly help you with suggestions..

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here goes my first question. Now, I dont want to be one of those people who move somewhere new and "make it just like" where I came from. BUT.
On BYH there is a forum for "member's journals". I dont use that feature there. But here, since I am snuggled safely down in the earth and don't even have cotyledons yet, I thought that might be a place to start....so I can look back and see where I've grown and where I've wilted. But I can't find that forum. Do you guys have such a thing?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of us on here don't get hung up on which forum section you're in. We're just not that formal and there are not that many of us so it matters that much. You may notice one of the recent posts was by @baymule about her 2020 garden. I think it's in the fruits and veggies section. The correct forum might be "About me and my garden", but that's just my opinion. Her's works too. When I start a new thread I try to put it in an appropriate forum but in many cases that's a matter of judgement.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Most of us on here don't get hung up on which forum section you're in. We're just not that formal and there are not that many of us so it matters that much. You may notice one of the recent posts was by @baymule about her 2020 garden. I think it's in the fruits and veggies section. The correct forum might be "About me and my garden", but that's just my opinion. Her's works too. When I start a new thread I try to put it in an appropriate forum but in many cases that's a matter of judgement.
Thanks. Actually "about me and my garden" looks like where I'm looking for. Don't know why I didn't find that on my own, but thank you.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree....we are loosey goosey here compared to other forums. You'll find a lot of good info gets lost in personal journals that could be more easily accessed on the appropriate forums, but folks get used to just talking in one place and so they continue to do so.

I'm just as guilty, I guess, as I started a thread about BTE but haven't done BTE for some time now, having switched over to hay and pretty much am lazy enough to just post about my garden progress in that same thread, so it's kind of like a journal. Not a good thing to get all one's eggs in one basket if someone is looking for a particular color of egg later on.

You'll get better answers to questions if you start a thread about it in whatever forum it applies to and we've really been needing someone like you to happen along, @Xerocles ....your brand of humor is much needed since we lost a valuable and well loved member last year. His questions always had us laughing and talking quite a bit and I miss that so very much!

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Beekissed yep, gotcha. And I WILL ask questions (hopefully in the right places) when I have questions. But right now I'm to ignorant about this to even know questions to ask. So, I just want some place to annotate my fumblings for my future reminisces....and hope that SOMEONE will see and say "no, no, no...you got that all wrong! Here's what you SHOULD have done."

Latest posts