Wrinkly eggs

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Any idea what would cause a hen to lay a wrinkly egg? There is only one every day or so, so I'm pretty sure it's only one hen doing it. None are acting sick or anything, so I'm not exactly sure who it could be. We do have 1 older hen (about 4 years), so maybe it's her?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would guess it is the older girl... I have had a few of them. Is the shell still hard- just wrinkly? How long has this been happening? It seems to me, I have a few, and then they go back to normal.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The shell is hard, and we've been finding them every few days for the past week or 2. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the egg when we crack them.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have a few of our Speckled Sussex (just turning 1 year old) that lay wrinkly eggs. Mostly at the top. It kind of looks like a soft serve ice cream cone. I have never investigated as to the why as they are all eating, drinking, laying, look good and doing what chickens do. So in my mind...all is well.

If you choose to investigate, it will be interesting to see what you come up with or of course someone here may know too! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have an 18 month old Salmon Favorelle that does that. Its just the way her system is, when the egg is being freshly 'shelled' in her body its not a smooth transaction out on an older hen and occasionally on some younger ones. Its very common though and there is really nothing wrong with her, or the egg. So no worries! :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that Egg Qualiity Handbook. It's written mainly for commercial producers so you have to be a bit careful how you read it, but I've learned a lot from it.

I have a hen that lays a wrinkled egg, juts wrinkled a bit on the fat end. With mine it is definitely one specific hen. She is about a year old so not young or old. I think it is just how she is made and how her internal egg factory is set up. I won't hatch any of her eggs in case it is hereditary, but I don't see anythng wrong with them as far as being safe to eat.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I won't hatch any of her eggs in case it is hereditary, but I don't see anythng wrong with them as far as being safe to eat.
When we raised canaries we had a few hens that would do this. We didn't breed on them either because we were told it was hereditary. One other concern is they may be more prone to being egg bound as they get older. I don't know how true that is, that information was from an old canary breeder that told us that.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 2yr. old silver laced wyndotte that lays eggs alittle bit like that. She has always laid eggs like that. She also only lays from about Januuary thru March and then stops the rest of the year. Can't figure that one out.

Mary

Latest posts