Wrinkly eggs

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now we're pretty sure it's a Rhode Island Red doing it. But like I said, they are all healthy, so I'm not worried about it. Just an oddity. :)

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Eggs are soft when laid. We've had some younger hens that laid crinkly eggs especially in cooler weather -- the egg doesn't lay evenly before the shell hardens. Sometimes it seems that yopunger hens are taken by surprise by the urge to lay and "drop it" unexpectantly in cold weather. Do you have soft, clean bedding in your laying box? Is the hen laying in a box? Anyway, I agree with the others that this is only a cosmetic issue, the egg is fine!

Reaction score
sometimes it just does that when the bird is laying the egg. like when the shell is being formed. :old

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Teka said:
Eggs are soft when laid. We've had some younger hens that laid crinkly eggs especially in cooler weather -- the egg doesn't lay evenly before the shell hardens. Sometimes it seems that yopunger hens are taken by surprise by the urge to lay and "drop it" unexpectantly in cold weather. Do you have soft, clean bedding in your laying box? Is the hen laying in a box? Anyway, I agree with the others that this is only a cosmetic issue, the egg is fine!
I thought that, too, until I harvested my 2011 layers and found unlaid, hard-shelled eggs inside.

Latest posts