WR's 2017 Spring Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do your tomato plants live all summer? Last year, mine gave up the ghost, or so I thought. When it cooled off in the fall, they started up all over again! We are having a good tomato harvest, some of the Cherokee Purple tomatoes are over a pound!

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvested 13 more jalapenos for stuffed japs. I'll also make our version of Spanish Rice using diced jalapenos, onions & tomatoes (all from the garden) to accompany the stuffed japs.

Harvested another half tub of tomatoes that will go in the dehydrator.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the soybeans I sent were Group 000, which is the earliest maturity group. If I recall, Bei 77-6177 was the one that was successful, and it is Group 000. Fairly tasty, and a pretty decent yield for such an early variety (there is generally an inverse relationship between earliness & yield). I have quite a few others in that group, in a wide range of colors... but to my knowledge, they are not cultivars bred specifically for use as edamame. Doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't be good for that purpose, though. There is a black-seeded cultivar with seeds that are fairly large for an early variety, and I had hoped to test it this year... but due to bad weather, the seeds rotted in the ground.:( Guess I'll have to try it again next year, and start some in pots to guarantee that I get fresh seed.

Oops, I was responding to @digitS' soybean post, didn't notice there was another page. :oops:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most Asian varieties are clear hilum varieties.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, it was Bei that did best. There was a Korean variety that I also grew for several years but side-by-side, Bei came through better for me.

Then, I stopped using that garden. Back in the big veggie garden, I had two years of nearly complete soybean failure. I tried "Beer Friend" along with Bei the 2nd year.

I blame the soil but imagine that the weather isn't quite a good fit, either. Before I lose viability of the remaining seed, altho there is a fair amount of it, I need to try growing it in my backyard beds but that will be a very limited number of plants. There are no farms with soybeans here. I guess that it is a quite unsuitable environment even tho I had several very good seasons with Bei. (This "Bei 77-6177 Sold Out" at Victory Seed inspires me o_O.)

It's a more complicated crop than I would have thought but I guess that shouldn't surprise me. Probably requirements for any crop are complicated and "common backyard conditions" become uncommon elsewhere.

Steve

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The tomatoes are finished dehydrating. We'll start another batch tomorrow, because Dieter likes them as well!!! We'll vacuum pack & freeze them tomorrow.

Dehydrated_Tomatoes.jpg

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Vacuum packed/froze the dried tomatoes this morning.

Also picked 25 jalapenos. 18 will be stuffed as a side dish for tonight's supper & the remaining will be used in Mrs. Ranch's 'pico de gallo' & the pinto beans I'm making.

Japs_070117.jpg

I also picked another tub of tomatoes.

Latest posts