WR's 2018 Spring Garden

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember Red's Rule # 2.

Given what they need, plants will do their part to survive and thrive. You can either replant the seeds a bit closer to the top while the toddler takes her nap, start a few cups of marigolds yourself and keep in reserve -- just in case -- or trust in #2 and let nature take its course.

Grandparents do what grandparents do.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was drizzling yesterday so I planted the potatoes this morning, then fertilized them (13-13-13) ahead of the forecast cool front. perfect timing too as there's no moon, LOL!!! All the root crops are now in.

Another week or so, & I'll plant the peas.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvested more asparagus. I plan to make a Barley Asparagus Risotto for a special supper tonight for my bride. The rest will be blanched & frozen prior to vacuum packing.

Asparagus_021718.jpg

The Risotto was a hit, she said she'd keep me for another year!!!

Barley_Risotto.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I've been harvesting asparagus for 5 weeks now & today I harvested what I believe is enough to last us until next spring (we now have 21 one lb. bags vacuum packed), so now it can just grow. This was by far the most productive year since I planted it 3 yrs ago.

Asparagus_031518.jpg

Now I need to finish forming the rows in the main garden (I'm behind) & start planting...

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wr ranch, do you think I could plant asparagus in a half wine barrel? I may find room for it somewhere around this tiny yard.

Mary

Latest posts