Yellow Jackets

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , bald faced hornets may be the only bee I don’t want any part of. They are mean and their sting will raise a welt on a piece of steel. The couple times I have been attacked by them it was a painful experience.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guess mine were fat and lazy from eating yellow jackets. Couldn’t make them mad-not that I tried

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , bald faced hornets may be the only bee I don’t want any part of. They are mean and their sting will raise a welt on a piece of steel. The couple times I have been attacked by them it was a painful experience.

yes those are pure evil and full of hate.. been stung once right on the tear duct of my right eye...i steer clear if i see a nest....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , we are doing the frontline method and it is working great already. The internet said put five drops on a small can of cat food mix well and serve fresh. The first day one whole can was consumed at two bait stations. We been putting it out for the last two days with less and less getting consumed. I also empty the four traps daily and they are having less every day. Everyone here except Thomas has been stung in the last week or two, I was stung again today the ninth sting for me this year. Time will tell if it has worked for long term, but early signs point to yes. It also recommended starting this method in late spring when the colonies are smaller and more manageable. If you are being over run with bees this method might be something you should try.

keep up the good work killing those little sh!ts.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year, the cabbage patch had the most horrible problem with cabbage moth caterpillars.

Cabbage was something I could store awhile into the winter and was important to me. Not that year! I didn't know anything about Bt and I'm not even sure if that bug killer was available back then. Couldn't find the pests and get them picked off enough to save my cabbage.

The next year was a "yellowjacket year." Man. I had to watch my every move while moving around outdoors. I mean, I even had to check my shirt to decide if I could bring my arms against my body.

I found something like 2 caterpillars in the cabbage that year. Good and Bad. I have seen yellowjackets kill honey bees ... it's a complex world.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

I have always found them non aggressive... :hu
at least if I'm not jostling a nest or something. They usually have a nest or two in the horse shed, and I always leave them alone. Last year I didn't see them as I was scooping poop and banged my stall picker against the wall by their nest. They came out and bounced against my head but no stings. There's also one or two in my equipment shed by the garden. That shed has very little traffic, but when I do open the big rolling door they don't get agitated.

On the other hand, the stinking yellow jacket/ paper wasps (I'm not aware of the difference) stung 3 of my garden class kids today. :somad

However, last weekend poor Luke (horse) had half a dozen baked potato sized welts on his barrel and under his belly. I blamed the Bald faced hornets in his shelter, thinking that when I threw his hay over the fence onto the mats in his shed I had banged the wall and got them stirred up. So I killed them.
Yesterday I saw about 5 wasp nests under the eaves that I hadn't noticed before, so now I'm not sure what attacked him. They'll be sprayed tonight though because fair is fair.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector I am glad that is working for you. There are lots of yellow jackets here, but none have angered me enough for me to want to wipe them out. At our old place, there were 2 nests in the ground, the first I ran over with a tractor, they buzzed out and started hitting the tractor. I got out of there fast. I burned them out with motor oil and gasoline. POOF! Then fire, then crispy jackets! The second nest, a skunk dug them out and ate them.