you ever had one of those days

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
you ever have one of the days ...THAT EVERTHING FINALLY COMES TOGETHER WITH A HITCH :bow :bow

wife and I drove down to the shop, welded up the transmission pulley. thank goodness we went the new chemical pump for the boiler was set to high added new chemicals and lowered the pump rate.
afterwards we had a great lunch, she elected for Chinese.

got home and put everything back together, finished up turning the garden. SHE RAN LIKE A CHAMP.

since having clover growing as a cover crop, figured it was time.<only been trying for 2 weeks>
removed the plow attached the disc and went to town, had time so spread some greensand and fired up the tiller and finished off incorporating it.

still going to need one more till
DSC_0019_zpsd386a152.jpg

while at it weeded the asparagus bed and covered with some compost.
DSC_0021_zpsac8fb7f0.jpg

yup spring is here, even saw a honey bee.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to see you finally got the old gal running! BTW what kind of tractor is it? Also, what is that growing on the left side of the first pic? Not the little shrub that looks like rosemary, but between the posts.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
good eye there monty that is rosemary, the wife planted it last year, it's too happy to remove it...

as for the left side in the photo that's triple crown blackberries. the front row in the photo are the mothers of all the rest of the patch
have 4 rows now200" going to tip around 50 this year and double what we have, they pay 1/3 of the property taxes in 2 years they will pay 2/3.

as for the tractor it's a 1999 21 hp mtd/ yard machine model 849 garden tractor the last year they produce them.
still after 13 years does not burn a drop of oil.......
it's a crying shame that nobody makes a garden tractor anymore.
you might as well call her a mower on steroids...

it has a 46" deck still takes 2 hours to mow 3 acres, well here it doe

with the pin hitch.....
tow behind spreader
15 gallon sprayer
17 cu ft trailer
some how the 3 leaf/grass bagger caught on fire< sorry I can not confirm nor deny how the fire from the burn barrel spilled over>.:he

with the sleeve hitch.
turning plow
disc
box blade
oh yes it's a mini log skidder as well.

and of course a 1978 arien's rocket 7 tiller.

if the weather is nice tomorrow will post a picture.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought those were blackberries, but couldn't be sure.

Nice equipment you have there. Those old GT's are getting hard to find. It's a shame MTD is cutting quality more and more. I saw a new Cub Cadet GTX the other day. I wasn't impressed. I have a new Cub, but it's an LTX. It does what it's supposed to do; cut the grass. That's it though. I'm checking on craigslist trying to find an older GT, but haven't found anything yet. I would really like a JD H140 but those are scarcer than hens teeth. I actually found one a few years ago that had a few attachments with it. It was a little pricy at $4000, but I would have taken it. The guy never answered my email though so I guess he either changed his mind or had already sold it.

That Ariens is a nice tiller. Does it have the Tecumseh engine? I have a 1985 Troy-Bilt Horse II. It's the 4-speed model with the 7hp Kohler. I found it on craigs list for a steal at $450! It starts on the very first pull and runs like brand new. It had the front brush guard/plow blade mount, but I don't have the blade. I want to get the hiller/furrower attachment for it, but never seem to get around to ordering it.

I would like to see some pics of the Ariens. They just don't build them like that anymore. I saw the new Horse tillers lately. It's a shame. I know MTD is trying to make money, but dang. Here is my Horse:

rightview_zps43f79d99.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
you are so right monty on finding a GT, have looked on craigslist for about a year and nobody is selling , have even called around to mower boneyards..no luck there either.
if you ever find one grab it, they are worth their weight in gold.
this will be the last year she mows, the deck is starting to rust out and of course mtd does not make the deck anymore.
did find one at a on-line mower parts site, for a couple more hundred can buy a new mower.
kind of funny knowing where next years tax return is going..

want to buy a electric sleeve hitch, but need to see one in action before shelling out that type of cash.

couple pictures of the garden tractor
DSC_0023_zps1bf2db8e.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsf1f67e5b.jpg

we inherited from the dw father many years ago, it did have the original 5hp Tecumseh, but a few years ago while tilling the garden
the piston and connecting rod decided to go in different directions, after tearing down the motor it was not worth rebuilding.
so for anniversary present dw father sent us a new motor. it's 7hp Tecumseh snowblower motor, so no air filter
figure when it dies will put a 4-stoke on it. and yes it needs new tines

DSC_0026_zps72c3e89d.jpg

that's is a very nice horse you have there, take good care of her!! it was a shame when mtd bought troy-bilt
they have never been the same.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess my John Deere manufactured Scott lawn tractor is just a toy compared to that. But I love it anyway.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
Look what I just found:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/3673816341.html

I'm in love! If it's still available Friday, I may just pull the trigger. The wife will skin me alive, but dang, it a '62 Simplicity Power Trac with all the attachments! You don't see those every day!
wow thats a great find...and only 400..

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, better have a nice long conversation with those voices in your wife's head before you do something like that.

Maybe if you surprised her with barbecued breakfast in bed...

Got the Ventures going, and it isn't even 9 am yet.

Latest posts