You know, Santa Delivers

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was about 3 months. I ate carbs, but I just increased my proteins....eggs. Eggs, cheese, picante sauce for breakfast, mostly.
I can't even finish 2 eggs even though I like them. I love goat cheese, bacon, spinach, and mushroom omelette. Sometimes I just mix all that into scramble eggs.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary. There are a couple of things that look like problems for me. Good thing that I have my next doctor's appointment pushed out into February. That way, some of these sugar molecules from all the Christmas chocolates will have time to dissipate :\.

Yesterday, DW dropped one of those plastic teeth cleaners down a sink drain. I sat down on the floor to pull the pipes apart. Oooooo. That meant I had to stand up agaaainnn!

My legs are so weak. Maybe I might have thought walking would make a big difference. Even my more active months in summer hasn't done much in recent years, I've noticed. Nuthin will be able to do much with the left leg. Sooo. You think standing from seated and squats while holding onto a countertop will help? Better not go from cross-legged on the floor.

hmmm, I wonder what my pulse would be with doing those things ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary. There are a couple of things that look like problems for me. Good thing that I have my next doctor's appointment pushed out into February. That way, some of these sugar molecules from all the Christmas chocolates will have time to dissipate :\.

Yesterday, DW dropped one of those plastic teeth cleaners down a sink drain. I sat down on the floor to pull the pipes apart. Oooooo. That meant I had to stand up agaaainnn!

My legs are so weak. Maybe I might have thought walking would make a big difference. Even my more active months in summer hasn't done much in recent years, I've noticed. Nuthin will be able to do much with the left leg. Sooo. You think standing from seated and squats while holding onto a countertop will help? Better not go from cross-legged on the floor.

Steve
I feel that exercise will slow down the process of not being able to use your legs. Your muscles need to keep moving even if it's just a tiny bit. You don't move it, you lose it!!

Mary

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary , I think losing those needed 5 pounds is harder than losing the first 20, or 30. I think a body puts the brakes on once it gets close to target weight...I don't know, maybe it's the fear of starvation that is in every body.
Conversely, if you only have 5 pounds to lose in the first place, you can lose it pretty rapidly by going strict keto, but it is going to be water emptying out of your cells. You can keep it off as long as you are strict keto, but as soon as you allow yourself a slice of bread, the process of utilizing that carbohydrate makes your body again retain water in the cells. Therefore: weight gain.
If you are borderline diabetic or already type 2, Keto certainly offers help in that situation, and you have more incentive (hopefully) to stick to it. And you lose weight in the process. Yay!
Anyone who decides to start a strict keto lifestyle needs to research it thoroughly. You can mess yourself up by eating only protein and veggies, without enough fat. And you need mineral supplements: calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, so you don't get leg cramps.

The Next Big Thing in the news now is that intermittent fasting is being considered for weight loss and insulin control. Fasting, once you have broken the sugar habit by using keto, is going to be easier, as you have already trained your body to use body fat rather than a constant inflow of carbohydrates for energy.

I did a modified Keto diet kind of thing. I know I need to eat some carbs, just be more aware which carbs aren't doing me any good. I can't handle a strict Keto diet. I have to eat some carbs.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey @canesisters ! how's the keto going? Are you using the various flours to bake and/or make desserts?
Going GREAT! Never hungry - except when I'm supposed to be ;)
Loving the meals I've made so far. I started Jan2 and have dropped 6lbs! So far I'm keeping it real simple until I get a good handle on this. I'll add in the baking and such later. Besides, all that stuff is expensive so I'll buy a little here and there until I'm ready. The oddest thing is never being hungry and waiting a LONG time to get hungry before I eat. Last Friday night I had chicken wings and blue cheese dressing for dinner. It was almost 1:00 Saturday before I said "Hey... I probably need to find something to eat, I'm getting a little hungry." :celebrate That just DOESN'T happen for me.
Real pleased with this so far.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
more fiber has been helping me feel full longer, but also trying to stick to a more regular schedule, the body can usually adjust.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve

years ago my bestie was always having troubles going from the floor to getting back up and since i'd never really had that problem i couldn't figure out what was so hard. after the injury to my tendon over a year ago i've certainly become more understanding.

i do some gradual knee bends standing at the counter or with a sturdy chair. after working up to about 30 you can slow them down even more and gradually go lower if you aren't having any pain from it. you'll have legs of iron. Tai Chi can also be adapted to work the legs as hard as you want (by going slower, lower and having your legs in further apart positions and such). if you feel like you've got it down then go practice outside on uneven ground. you'll be amazed at the difference after several months when you come back indoors.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
you'll have legs of iron.
"leg" of iron.

I should advertise on Craigslist for someone with the same shoe size but problems with the right leg. The bad leg is on idle all the time so that shoe has about half the wear while the good foot and leg do all the work.

Mary, I stopped using a brace after about 18 months, years ago. Not only had I broken it twice but my ankle swelled with fluid. I still have some problems with that but there are some muscles in that leg that need to move and were nearly atrophied after 18 months. It helped my ego to walk more normally but ... it wasn't worth the price ... even if insurance paid for brace repairs ;).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"leg" of iron.

I should advertise on Craigslist for someone with the same shoe size but problems with the right leg. The bad leg is on idle all the time so that shoe has about half the wear while the good foot and leg do all the work.

Mary, I stopped using a brace after about 18 months, years ago. Not only had I broken it twice but my ankle swelled with fluid. I still have some problems with that but there are some muscles in that leg that need to move and were nearly atrophied after 18 months. It helped my ego to walk more normally but ... it wasn't worth the price ... even if insurance paid for brace repairs ;).

Steve

ah, see, we can't see each other here and our various frailties and foibles or strengths either for that matter. :) but i am glad for even a singular leg of iron if you are at all into exercises. :) i am woefully not, but i did get a little snow shovelled today just because i had to do something and it finally did snow a little. i was already mostly dressed and told Mom i was going out to do it and she said she was about to do the same and started giving me a bit of a hard time but it was fake hard time as we usually might razz each other a bit in fun. i told her to stuff it and that she could do the next round. due this weekend supposedly...

really though, i'm just happy to have people to talk to, here and in person. :)

some day if i live in the city i'm going to put up a sign, "Please come walk on my lawn!" not that i really have any plans on having one, but that thought still amuses me...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can also just sit up and down on a chair.
Okay, simple appeals to me ... how many of these do you think I should be doing each day, or at a time?

I don't find guidance on the internet. Isn't this considered an exercise?

In just a couple of days, I went from 12, then a break of a few minutes, then another 12. Up to 20, with a break, then another uh, 12. Doesn't take long and I can still do the 30 minute walk but ... ya know, standing from a sitting position so many times leaves a little soreness.

🥴 Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts