You might be a gardener if.....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having literally just done this.....

You might be a gardener if........you find yourself out in a rainstorm because "The corn NEEDS to get into the ground"

(bonus points, if you talk someone else into being out there helping you)
Double bonus points if you are out in the rain AGAIN a few weeks later, because the storm blew the corn down & you want to prop it back up before the mud sets. (Been there, done that...)

Chiknoodle

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You might be a gardener if... you‘re so eager to see your veggies that you go outside each HOUR to see if anything has produced.
You might be a gardener if... you don’t go out and check your plants... this happens ⬇️
6B2E6B6D-6D1F-4DDE-9274-EDEE49EE0214.jpeg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You might be a gardener if...you buy seeds for plants that you never intend to grow...just because.
You might be a gardener if...you have a collection of old seeds that you WILL get around to planting...some day.
You might be a gardener if...you HAVE to grow the impossible, like a gardenia in zone 6, even though everybody else has failed.
You might be a gardener if...you plant (outside) TOO early, or you plant too late and you are SURE that everything will grow just fine, bc you are THAT GOOD!!! :lol:
OR
You might be a gardener if...you are sure that NOTHING will grow this year!

Last edited:

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might be a gardener if...you buy seeds for plants that you never intend to grow...just because.
You might be a gardener if...you have a collection of old seeds that you WILL get around to planting...some day.
You might be a gardener if...you HAVE to grow the impossible, like a gardenia in zone 6, even though everybody else has failed.
You might be a gardener if...you plant (outside) TOO early, or you plant too late and you are SURE that everything will grow just fine, bc you are THAT GOOD!!! :lol:
OR
I have bought seeds of vegetables I probably wont grow but got for barter reasons.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
OR
ALL these apply to me (except the second to last). I have enough tropical tree seeds to plant a small rainforest, and I live in a house in the suburbs in zone 6 (where anything tropical has to be a houseplant) . I have seed going back to my COLLEDGE days (so 20+ years). I've planted seeds I've gotten from places like the dried flower arrangements you get in craft stores and potpourri (oddly some of those actually grew).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ALL these apply to me (except the second to last). I have enough tropical tree seeds to plant a small rainforest, and I live in a house in the suburbs in zone 6 (where anything tropical has to be a houseplant) . I have seed going back to my COLLEDGE days (so 20+ years). I've planted seeds I've gotten from places like the dried flower arrangements you get in craft stores and potpourri (oddly some of those actually grew).
Hey there is still dna in those seeds so they are still good right?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey there is still dna in those seeds so they are still good right?
It depends. Some seeds are recalcitrant (like most palms) so when they are dried, they are dead. And a lot of potpourri is actually BOILED in the scenting oil, so that's usually dead as well. Also, a lot of pods and fruits are picked under ripe for these purposes, so they don't go soft or split. If however the fruits were simply sun dried and stuck on the sticks (floral arrangement)..... well maybe. I've gotten luffa to grow that way, and some sort of Croton tree. Also something I never identified. From potpourri I've done a senna.

I've also occasionally managed to get seeds that were drilled to use as beads to grow. Job's tears are easy (the hole is natural and bypasses the actual seed so stringing them has no effect on their viability*. And I did a Sophora (Mezcal bean) once.

* In fact, I often prowl beads strands as a way to try and find alternate strains of Job's tears (besides the two common ones)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might be a gardener if you feel a twinge of guilt, throwing away a cucumber from your favorite variety even though it is scarred all along 1 side, bent at a 90° angle, and you are a week late with the harvest. So ... you have to carry said cucumber 50 feet away from the vines in an attempt to not emotionally upset the plants that the cucumber is anywhere near as it deteriorates away.

😢 digitS'

Latest posts