You Quilters

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No way I'd try something like that. I am still trying to figure out how to mark and start Maverick's wildflower labyrinth. I know how the labyrinth is laid out, but the scale I'm going for is beyond my tiny mind's abilities.

Hey, Steve, if you want to expand your horizons with new patterns, why don't you work up a plan for my labyrinth? A square with sides of 70 feet should work.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine something as large as that .., @Smart Red !

Wild flowers. Are you thinking that you would mow within the labyrinth? The "walls" would be very informal beds of wildflowers?

I think the mowing decks of riding lawnmowers are often 42". If we say the paths and the walls are 4', something like the simple labyrinth below would be 56'.

Steve

labyrinth.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine something as large as that .., @Smart Red !

Wild flowers. Are you thinking that you would mow within the labyrinth? The "walls" would be very informal beds of wildflowers?

I think the mowing decks of riding lawnmowers are often 42". If we say the paths and the walls are 4', something like the simple labyrinth below would be 56'.

Steve

View attachment 5588
Ah, Precious Steve, you have a maze showing there. I want a labyrinth -- very specific in design and ratio. And, yes, I would have grass to mow in the paths. I would need 50 inches for my riding mower, but was thinking of about 3-4 feet for the paths and I'd mow them with the 21-inch (gas) push mower.

The walls would have to be pretty close to 4 feet to allow reaching them from either side, but 5 feet wouldn't be all the bad for my reach. In the center of the labyrinth I would like room for a bench or so to contemplate the journey. I think the one I was trying to duplicate was called the 7-step version. One way in and one way out with a modest space in the center.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule first you have to have a garden to use a square...hows the painting coming along......:pop
I finally finished the painting on Thursday. Spent Friday pulling up vinyl flooring, pulling staples and getting ready to start laying the wood floors. Saturday I came home, tired and sick with a head cold. :barnie But the house looks good!

Got to finish the house so I can start on the outside!! Garden is still an empty spot with some bodacious weeds!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree, Bay! I fear that if I were in your shoes (and they probably wouldn't fit) I'd be working outside during the day and staying up all night to paint.

And, yes, the house -- what I've seen of it -- does look very good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
maze (m
amacr.gif
z)n.1.
a.
An intricate, usually confusing network of interconnecting pathways, as in a garden; a labyrinth.
b. A physical situation in which it is easy to get lost ...

So, you want a circular path but within a 70' square? The spiritual aspects escape me, I should say right off. You are not wanting to see out, from in or see in, from out??? Even the size of flower beds is daunting.

Does this help, from your linked website: http://www.instructables.com/id/Labyrinth-How-to-layout-pack-a-Classic-Cretan-/

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't care if I can see over the flowers or not. Most of the wildflowers range about 30 - 40 inches in height. Since they are wild flowers, there won't be a lot of weeding (eventually, I hope).

This is the last of my grandchild centered flower gardens. The wildflowers are to be the butterfly nursery for Connor's Memorial Butterfly garden. This is Maverick's Wildflower Labyrinth.

I realize it will take a few years to get the flowers up and growing, but the grassy path is my problem. I haven't figured out how to get it started. I've even considered seeding the whole area with wildflowers and mowing the path afterwards, but seed is expensive and the path could be usable even before the flowers are there.

Spiritual? I've seen and used a labyrinth. While it was classic in design, it was merely a brick 'path' through a gravel bed. I'm not sure I got much out of it other than the idea for my garden.