You want to test seeds for free?

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, add me to the paranoid list... :hide I would LOVE to get free seeds, plantable cuttings, or whatever to add to my garden (who wouldn't?!) but what are the strings that are attached? There HAS to be a catch, I mean come on, with the state of the economy how can they send out FREE seeds? Do they expect you to report how things did in your garden (like secret shopper almost) or do you pay for anything down the road? They can't possibly just be giving stuff away, can they? I await your responses before I overload their server with a giganto order...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Wow,

Just incredible. I do have some questions.

How is this provided, as far as shipping? Who is paying for this?

I did go to the link to make your request and saw that there needs to be a "define research" field.

I am a business because I can sell plants at our Farmer's Market, so I guess I can list my company name as the organization. I also read their Mission Statement and their Vision Statement and I can see how clearly a "research" criteria could be presented.

Vision: The ARS vision is to lead America towards a better future through agricultural research and information.

So I could say "Planting for the Renewal of Urban Sustainability"

This would cover me for sure :rolleyes: because I am being honest, I simply chose things I would love to grow because it is those things that provide me with the ability to become self-sustaining.

Ron

I am a bit scared at receiving a big Shipping Bill when this is all said and done. I am making sure that I only choose seeds and only from United States locations for fear of weight infringements and long distance costs. I could not imagine how much it would cost to get something from another Country.
I am supposing that is the 'researcher' who is coming all this on their own. There is not cost to you EXCEPT they expect you fill out a questionaire that needs to go back to the research facility or college the seeds/plant came from!

You ever do those product survey's for companies like eating some cheese by land'o'lakes and then filling out a question sheet. Then they pay you with a check for your time?! Same idea!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank You Bid!

Wow, I am just glowing!

Now that I put in my order for seeds, I think this time I will put in a request for cuttings. I have a ton of space for every kind of grape they have!! :D:):D

My first request was for two varieties of Elderberry, gooseberry, Honeyberry (I had to find the scientific name for Honeyberry--similar to a blueberry but related to Honeysuckle). I ordered three different Acer (Maple tree). Also I ordered all the seeds for strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

The only flower on the list was some Rudbeckia.

I promise I will not abuse this, I promise, I promise. I will find a spot for every sprout and I vow to try my best.

Ron

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about these people. I searched for artichoke. What came up was called Italian purple artichoke but the latin name was alliacae or something like that which is the onion/garlic family and the picture was of a head of garlic.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it helps, I searched many flowers and found NONE.

I did get asparagus! Its coming from FRANCE! A lot of what I was looking for is coming from different countries actually, including Turkey, Brazil, Chile and more. Good way to test thing. I am also sharing my seed order with 2 of my neighbors. :p

(You have to remember that some 'common' names for plants are only common in the US, in other countries that name could mean something else.)

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This morning I got this email -

Thank you all for your interest in our germplasm program and services. The following are deadlines every season for ordering material from our collections.

Grape/Vitis Dormant Cuttings- Nov. 15th

Cherry/Prunus & Apple/Malus Dormant Scion Wood- Jan. 10th

Cherry/Prunus & Apple/Malus Summer Budwood- July 15th.

Please reconsider ordering with us again next fall.

Dawn
So, when should I order them? Next fall 2010? Or this fall 2009?
Isn't it summer right now?

Latest posts