You want to test seeds for free?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Believe it or not... I just received my first order of seed!

It was CRAZY too.... it was an 'Overnight' envelope from Fed Ex and it came from California to send it on to me from Argentina!!! All it is, a small envelope with 3.5 gm of lawn grass seed?!

I need to look this stuff up and see if I even wanna dump it on my lawn.... (Not that my lawn is anything more then crab grass and dandi-lions anyways!)

Wow... overnight?! CRAZY!!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem,

Did you order grass seed?

You know I got that same 'automated' email about deadlines, but it did not make any sense to me since these should be dates in the future.

I will wait on what I ordered and then come fall just before those dates I will replace my order. I can understand how sending cuttings would be best during the dormancy period (winter).

....This should be very interesting, but I don't want any grass. LOL

Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did... I ordered a creeping grass... turns out to not be a grass though. Its a low creeping bush that looks like grass. Its salt tolerant, and like marshy areas. It is a sage green color with purple flowers in the spring. Its a big 'life stock' feed of choice in Australia of all places. Good info I found on it, and I think it will do well along the bank by the pond. It'll cove up some of the sticky moss and the ducks can eat it.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I ordered some seeds (blanketflower and coneflower)
I listed my organization as personal use, and for the intended use I put:

I am trying to find good-looking perennial flowers that can survive in my climate with minimal care or water.

I'll have to see what happens.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did it! 68 requests later...hahaha I said that I wanted to find varieties that are hardy in our Zone because that is the struggle for most gardeners in the north as well as trees that will survive the winter.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok so I got this email today

Dear Cxxxx Xxxxx:

We received your order below, order #20100051. All winter orders for dormant cuttings will be shipped in February/March 2010. We request your FedEx, UPS or other shipping account number to help offset our shipping costs for your order.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michelle Robards, Office Assistant

USDA, ARS

National Clonal Germplasm Repository

One Shields Ave. ("3201 Straloch Road" for packages)

UC Davis, Davis CA 95616

T: (530) 752-6504

Web: www.ars-grin.gov/dav
How do you set up a Fedex or UPS shipping account?
Did anyone else get this email?

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I placed an order on July 28 for thirty line items.

Today, I received a padded manila envelope from Western Regional P.I. Station, Washington Stage University.

I received four fava beans and a copy of my email order and this letter:

'Thank you for your interest in our germplasm collection. The National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS) is a coopertive research organization and our germplsm collection, evaluation, and distribution systems are designed to serve research objectives. It is the policy of the NPGS to provide available materials in small quantities for research and genetic improvement purposes, not for home gardening or personal hobby type use. This order we will send you a few accessions to try and fulfill your objectives, but not necessarily the accessions you requested. Any further requests we will lookied at more discreetly" yes, their type, not my typo.

"Because one of our goals is to maintain genetic diversity as a resource fcor the food suppy, many of our accessions are wild, or landrace types having great variation. As a result, the plants, flowers, fruits and seeds that grow from our seed may not all look alike and my not be marketable or edible. Many of our accessions are not adapted to the United States and may require special handling to flower and produce seed. Standard east-to-grow types are available from commercial sources"

"The seeds in the US National Plant Germplasm System are maintained to suport research. While "research" can somtimes be defined pretty loosely, our policy is not to distribute seeds to homeowners. "for their veggie gardens". The reason being that government agencies are not allowed to maintain programs that would be considered competing with private industry. We also do not ahve the staff and funding needed to support that higher level of distribution. "

So...if I get anything else, I'll add to this post. But I plan on keeping a notebook, that way, whatever happens in my garden, they will know about it if they ask and it may help them with their research. For example, I planted 30 fava from two different companies and this will be the third source. I'd be interested in knowing how the three do anyway.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I replied to my confirmation e-mail with this:

I placed this order today, I intended to use the Echinacea to supplement and compare to the variety of echinacea that I already have. I intended to use the Gaillarda as a new plant species (as I am looking for low-maintenance wildflowers). Upon reviewing the website, I see that as an indvidual, I may not be in line with the research that the NPGS is trying to accomplish. If you feel that I am not an ideal candidate for this, please e-mail me to let me know, otherwise, if the seeds are sent, I would be happy to report back how the seeds are able to grow in my climate.

The reason being that government agencies are not allowed to maintain programs that would be considered competing with private industry
What does the Post Office do?

Latest posts