Your Favorite rose??

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What's your favorite rose and why do you love it? I would also love pictures of your beauties..

I don't have a lot of them but the ones I do have I enjoy them because they are beautiful cut flowers. They look great in my crystal vases, my canning jars or my wine bottles!

I have one that came with the house (25yrs ago). As many shurbs and flowers are many times --she was planted in a terrible spot--under the huge pear tree and was laying on the ground. Well, I thought that the next winter, I would cut her back and move her...But spring came--I got busy and one day when I was cutting the grass I noticed these big, bright red flowers about 25-30 into the pear tree---You guessed it-- she had take off like a wild women. Throwing her long legs and arms :D out into the pear tree.... By the end of summer the pear (flowering) was almost entirely red! The roses are about 4 inches with any open cup...they last over a week after being cut. She is still sprawled in the huge pear tree and I enjoy her beauty every summer. Dixie

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our favorite is the Lady Banks rose as it has no thorns and is very easy to grow, plus it blooms early in the season and the small blossoms are lightly scented. It's a great climber, too.

Ours started out as a rooted cutting in a plant trade two or 3 years ago.

You can see pix of ours here, 1st post and post 9, too see just how fast it has grown, in just a years time.

Dawn

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nice flowers, Dawn! I also like the Lady Banks but don't have one..

The Double Delight is beautiful--I planted one last yr but it died during our drought.. Just could NOT water enough for the newly planted... Maybe I will try her again this yr...Dixie

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Dixiedoodle,

I'm working on taking cuttings and getting them rooted, if you'd be interested in trying them. Just let me know! ;)

Dawn

mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
before thinking about cuttings, what area are you in. I love the trilogy of the south - Chinas, Noisettes and Teas (not hybrid teas) and those babies just don't hardly grow above zone 7 so don't waste your time rooting a Noisette to grow in Canada or up state New York.

My favorite are of course the Noisette - they were the first rose bred in the good old USA and they love my climate. So consider your climate and how much attention you want to give to a rose before you plant them. Do you want to spray? Do you want to winter protect? Go to a local public garden or contact your local rose society and they will give you good ideas of what will grow successfully, with not too much care in your area. The worst thing someone can do is start out with a primadona. It will turn them off roses for the rest of time. Roses ARE NOT hard to grow if you pick the right roses for your particular area.

Roses are like children, give them dirt, food, sun and water and a place where their heritage allows them to thrive - you won't be able to kill them without the aid of roundup or a bush hog

Lalaith

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love David Austin roses. I am a fiend for scent in flowers and I love the romantic look of very full blooms. I have had a bit of trial and error to find ones that survive the climate here in Canada, as well as my sort of benign neglect.

The most trouble-free roses in my 5A garden are "Jude the Obscure," "Heritage," and "A Shropshire Lad." I don't spray them or use fertilizer (other than composted manure) and they thrive. We get lots of snow, so I don't bother with winter protection but I do try and situate them near to large stones or little windbreaks.

I am experimenting with a more tender rose this year called "Francis E Lester." It is a rambler that has the most amazing scent and its blooms look rather like apple blossoms. Well, hopefull they will if it ever decides to break dormancy and leaf out. Still waiting... :)

fivebigreds

Sprout
Reaction score
Veterans honor is stunning . The blooms last for a week or more and are huge.

july23009.jpg

HenHaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My favorite has always been Double Delight. (My avatar) I just love the pink-edged petals and they are so fragrant!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For what purpose?

For durability, medicinal and fragrance purposes, you can't beat a rugosa. In which case I like Blanc Double de Couvert.

For training up a trellis, Penny Lane is my fave.

Roses I am willing to fuss over: Glamis Castle, and oh heck, any of the David Austin roses, but I have a particular fondness for The Generous Gardener.

Latest posts