Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Good feedback, thanks!

Ya, the design / skin on that site needs to be tweaked so it is "responsive" to your screen width. See this forum as an example (which should look great on your phone, tablet, or any screen size) http://www.woodworkingboards.com/

In fact, on your regular computer you can make the browser window skinnier and see the design automatically adjust!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went over there and looked around a little. Tried to sign in, but I am adverse to giving my birthday out. I guess I could do what I did on my Facebook (hardly ever go there) and make one up......born in 1901 or something stupid. So why do you require my birthday?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for pointing that out!

There are some cases where we're required to make sure that people under a certain age aren't allowed to join the site, but I'm not sure if that applies here. I'll double check.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get it I'm not opposed to change. I think its a credit to how well you and the others are managing this site that we don't think it needs to change.

I liked the program. As I said before if a change is necessary then that's a good route to go.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I tend to be very risk adverse and I also don't like change. Additionally, the amount of things that I, as the Admin, need to learn to convert and maintain the site are astronomical. So, if you consider the fact that I've done my homework to make sure this is a viable option for the communities I've put countless hours into, that I don't love change, and the amount of work it's taken and will take... well, trust me that I wouldn't go through all this if I didn't feel it was an important, if not necessary thing to do.

:D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm up for a change. Maybe I'll even dye my hair red while I'm at it. :lol:

Seriously though, it looks/sounds great to me. I'm flexible. :cool: I really like all the extra bells and whistles. The layout is clean and pretty straight-forward. I like that you can see your alerts in real time. I like all the options to tailor who and what threads you want to follow. Navigation seems easy enough. I haven't had any trouble finding features or things I was looking for. I also think it is really cool that you can link up to fb to recommend a thread (even though I recently killed my fb...still, pretty neat.)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nifty, I once built a site using joomla as the front page and phpbb as the forum. I couldn't find a template in phpbb that I liked so took it upon myself to create my own. While the joomla was actually acceptable, the phpbb took a long time to get the bugs out. I know what you mean about all the behind the scenes work, which is why I'm now a member of TEG and shut down "thegardenplaceforum.com". My work schedule just didn't allow the time needed to maintain the site the way I wanted to.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nifty, I'm probably the least computer literate person here. I'm all for change, all I ask is that it be simple enough for me to use. :rolleyes: Pretty please? :)

Mary

Latest posts