Your Thoughts on Fig Trees

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I was at Callahan's General Store the other day and saw that they have fig tree seedlings. A bit of research tells me that they do grow well here, and I'm considering planting one or two since OldGal and I both like figs.

Any thoughts or advice on the subject of fig trees would be appreciated.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have any advice, just a thought. I've seen people grow figs further south. They really do well. If you have room and like them nearly as much as I do, go for it.

I tried it here and they froze out. That was disappointing.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I don't have any advice, just a thought. I've seen people grow figs further south. They really do well. If you have room and like them nearly as much as I do, go for it.

I tried it here and they froze out. That was disappointing.
Did you try the Chicago Fig???? They are supose to grow as far north as Chicago.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In Delaware, I grow Brown Turkey figs -- sometimes they get frozen to the ground and the crop is sparse the next year, but they always come back. In milder years, we have 2 crops and last year had a ton of figs.
The older they get, the more they can withstand the cold.

I have a Hardy Chicago I got 2 years ago and it is doing well, but it is too early to tell how it will compare.

Eat figs fresh, dry them, make fig newtons, or make spiced fig preserves that are fabulous on grits!!!!!!

I have tried using tarps/wraps to protect from freezing, but these create mold/fungus or dessication issues that also cause die-off. Better to keep the plants watered in winter and cross your fingers.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy, definately plant a fig tree!! I made strawberry fig preserves this past summer and they are fabulouso!! I made some with black berries, split the recipe 1/2 figs and 1/2 blackberries. I used blackberry jello, but I really think I could have skipped the jello and just used the fruit. I'll try blackberry fig preserves next year without the jello. I included the recipe for you. The recipe calls for mashed figs, I chopped mine.

Strawberry Fig Preserves

6 cups mashed figs
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
3--(3) oz boxes strawberry jello
1 box sure jell

Boil figs, water and sugar 30 minutes. Add jello and sure jell. Boil 2 more minutes. Put in hot jars and seal.
I got 5 pints.

My post on the giant figs I got from a neighbor. WAH!! I want a fig tree too!
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=34058&p=1

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have one lone fig tree and hope to plant 2 more, but am holding out for at least one of those to be chicago fig. This is the first winter for my fig tree, this summer was brutal on it we are in a severe to extreme drought. I planted it on the South side of my house (not as horrible as it sounds I live in a neighborhood and my south side is very shaded from the worst of the sun) and the house protects it from the north winds so here's to :fl for figs this year.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brown Turkey overwinters here with some prep. You will do much better with figs than I will because of your location. I say go for it.

Latest posts