Your Weather, 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
eek! i hope you didn't lose any plants?!
No. Everything on their own outdoors have had repeat temperatures in the 20's, lately. Resistance has built in.

The temporary hoop house over a couple of beds, for sure, had freezing in there. But, it has only cool season veggies. The little plants have been been in the beds for about a week, watered in good - Asian greens, broccoli raab, etc. There is little chance for it to warm above outdoor temperatures with wind and cloudy afternoons but the plants are fine.

The greenhouse temperature is A-ok and that is where most of my focus has been and not putting a heater in the hoop house. Still have peppers and eggplant in the house waiting for their first visit to the greenhouse ;).

Steve
Edit: 46°f at 1:30pm with the greenhouse vent open and exhaust fan on since a little before noon. the hoophouse has door & window completely open. it's a very sunny day and little wind. yay!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Temperate for us, altho freeze warnings in the early a.m.'s. Yes, the bird bath layer of water was frozen. Later this week we will zooooooom up to the 80's and then settle at the high 70's. Time to turn on the watering system. Ka Ching goes the monthly budget.

i sure hope you get some more rains there!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zooooooom up to the 80's and then settle at the high 70's. Time to turn on the watering system.
If we can just be shed of this wind. Forecast makes it look possible!

Zooming to 70's, the first of the year. Yes, it is very dry. DW was surprised to see some automatic sprinklers on, during yesterday's drive home from her 2nd vaccination. (Sprinklers doing their thing in watering asphalt and passing cars.)

I felt like pointing out the stress showing in the lawngrass near the backsteps. Yes, it is partly because of digitS' big feet but snow, hail, rain -- we haven't had 1/2" of water over the last 6 weeks.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is this, again?

Now it is kick the air conditioning down because it's what, hot? Looks like 60's & 70's in Dallas but thunderstorms ... wind gusts 20 to 25. Does this cause a problem?

Steve
wind gusts above 35 here again today

i wonder if they still have some residual damage from the previous big storm that they're still having to fix? winds of that speed shouldn't be doing that much damage.

around here the power doesn't usually start flickering until about 70mph aka 113kmh.

cold and a bit rainy/snowy here today. i am not going anywhere. finally can cook some spicy food i like since Mom wants to run errands and doesn't need me to be with her this time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks like i will wait another week at least before planting peas... i haven't looked lately but the strawberries shouldn't be in any danger yet from frosts, but now we have some in the overnight forecasts for the coming week.

cool this morning, but i hope to get out later today for some dirt therapy.

Latest posts