Your Weather, 2022

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
During the time this post was going on, we were in the middle of a horrific wind storm that lasted 3 days! I’ve been here 30 years and never seen anything like it. Numerous folks sent in pictures from all over the valley and someone compiled them into a great you tube video called the “2022 great Alaska windstorm” which i attached here. If the link doesn’t play for you just plug the heading into a search engine, I‘m sure you’ll be impressed!

in the video your only seeing physical damage but this whole time thousands of people were without power for numerous days, much of the time in sub zero temperature.

here at the house we did not loose power but we do have a couple trees down and the branches in the yard are so numerous that next week when it warms into the plus range; i will take the wheeler mounted snow plow and push all the trash to a place i can deal with it in the spring.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2022-01-09-07-04-52_kindlephoto-35836357.png
Well, we were already in the "moderate drought" category before the storm on the 6th, turns out :). That black area of exceptional drought was extended all the way here, near the Canadian border of WA/ID during the summer. Next is extreme, next severe. The yellow is abnormally dry. We can see that western WA and that corner of MT are out of the drought categories :).

The map is updated weekly, evidently, and is based on historical averages. You know, when the local fauna, flora and humans were accustomed to "things." Exceptional was brutal.

This is something that happened in a similar way in the 20-21 winter. Despite very unusually warm weather, snowpack accounted for a good supply of stored water. It seems a little colder this winter but not much. Good Heavens, hold on to that water! Release it in a slow and gentle way ... keep those evergreens, ever green.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
warmer for a bit last night and then rain/ice, today heading down to the lower temperatures and then through the night. snow chances tomorrow and even colder. tomorrow night down to -3F. ok, that's cold enough thanks...

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Im sure you’ve noticed we don't hear too much about “global warming” these days.
it seems to be a harder winter most places, my son in the Seattle area tells me about what they are experiencing and except for this last bit of blustery weather, i’ll still take ours!
I see on the world news of a bad storm that left numerous motorist stranded in Pakistan; resulting in a couple dozen deaths!
A lot of you folks in more temperate America (back east) seem to be making the news as well with ice storms etc.

About June we’ll have a good idea what the winter was like, until then we‘re just keeping our head down and thanking the Lord for each day as they come.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The arctic air is here now, highs only in single digits for next couple days & lows around -10 F. When it gets below 10 degrees F., I run the wood burner, since that is when it really pays for itself... but that sure does lower the indoor humidity! I'm getting that sweater & blanket lightning now, and shocking myself whenever I slide out of a chair & touch something metallic. Screws on light switch covers are the worst, since those screws are grounded through the box. :ep

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Wife generates “blanket shock”; when she gets off the couch (wearing a fleece bathrode) and strolls over to give me a big kiss! I dont see the arc but some of them feel like they jump a 1/4 of an inch!

but you know, “she’s still the big door prize”🥰

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Wife generates “blanket shock”; when she gets off the couch (wearing a fleece bathrode) and strolls over to give me a big kiss! I dont see the arc but some of them feel like they jump a 1/4 of an inch!
Not on the lips I hope; that can sting for both parties. After one such encounter, DW pushes me away when she sees me coming now, to drain the charge. She quite rightly questions my intentions (because she knows me well). :lol:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
During the time this post was going on, we were in the middle of a horrific wind storm that lasted 3 days! I’ve been here 30 years and never seen anything like it. Numerous folks sent in pictures from all over the valley and someone compiled them into a great you tube video called the “2022 great Alaska windstorm” which i attached here. If the link doesn’t play for you just plug the heading into a search engine, I‘m sure you’ll be impressed!

in the video your only seeing physical damage but this whole time thousands of people were without power for numerous days, much of the time in sub zero temperature.

here at the house we did not loose power but we do have a couple trees down and the branches in the yard are so numerous that next week when it warms into the plus range; i will take the wheeler mounted snow plow and push all the trash to a place i can deal with it in the spring.

:hugs

Latest posts