Your Weather 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the squall line came through, gave us a nice rain and took out the power for a few hours. gladly for once Mom listened to me and did not go out to run errands because it looked like the storms would be heavy. she took a nap for a while and then ran her errand later after the storms were past.

forecast for next two days is sunny and 81F and clear evenings. chances of rain again start up Sunday.

IMO this is perfect as i can get out for the next two days and get some weeding done and then have a day or two off. everything is getting enough water and it is cool enough that things should set fruits or pods.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I seriously wish I could send some of our unwanted rain to places where it is needed. But mostly I'm grateful that my little area here was not one of the places in the state destroyed by flooding. Homes, businesses, and farms just 15 miles from me are total wrecks. People and their pets still being housed in emergency shelters, and lakes where there once were crops growing.

Yesterday and the day before were rare rainless sunny days, so I managed to get some work with the string trimmer done, and tamed a bit of jungle growth. (Vines of all types are having a hayday.) But now the rain has returned, so I suppose I should get to work on some of my indoor projects. At least they are predicting more sunny days for Sunday and the coming week.

The ground is squishy like a super-saturated sponge, and my plants are trying in vain to reach up to where there might be sunlight. At least I do have a lot of green cherry tomatoes forming and many blossoms on the bush bean plants, but no flowers at all on my summer squash. Very few blooms on annual potted plants, although the perennials are faring better.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 99°f (37°C) at the nearest airport yesterday afternoon and with fingers crossed, 🤞 I am hoping that this just may be the highest temperature for the Summer. Since May, we have had 16 days above 90°f (32°C). It's been 99f 3 different times and if we don't crack that silly 100F line, it will be so, VERY ok with me!

It is dry, also. There has been no rain in nearly 4 weeks. Most years, we will not have significant rain for about another 6 more weeks -- mid/late September. We are not out of the highs above 90f nor the risk of 100+, Of Course. But, I take some small encouragement from the Weather Service's prediction that there will be a little cooling next week (our average hottest week of the year). We could sure use a break from the hot and dry.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow is my husband's 70th birthday party and it's going to be swealtering at 76*. It's ok I've got 5 patio umbrellas for the yard. :p

Mary
If only it was that sweltering here. Humid 80's & 90's predicted this week... and given the unbearable heat elsewhere, I'll count my blessings. Happy Birthday to the hubby.

Finally had some serious rain break through last night. Passed a couple cars in the ditch off the highway; IMO its been dry so long that some of the speed demons have forgotten about hydroplaning.

EAA (Experimental Air Association) is coming to my area this week - and bringing the heat with them, maybe our high for the year. Possible rain nearly every day too... all those props churning the atmosphere might increase the chances. :rolleyes: As hot as it will be on the tarmac, that rain might me welcome; but I hope we don't get a strong thunderstorm. That would wreak havoc on those camping in the tent city, as well as all of the planes on the ground. :fl

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weee
Yesterday we received our first rainfall in many, many weeks-- and at the moment it is absolutely pouring down. All of south western British Columbia is doing a happy dance! We had heavy rain overnight as well as showers off and on during the day. Today they said it was the most rain that had fallen in one day since January 14th! Given that our weather typically makes its way towards Idaho digitS', I sincerely hope that the pounding rain is headed your way next.

The prolonged drought that we have experienced has been really tough on the plants-- so they must be loving this. At the moment I am reading Robert Pavlis' book Soil Science for Gardeners, and in it he briefly discusses the effects of desiccation on plant roots. He indicates that when moisture levels drop to the point that the area around the roots (rhizosphere) dries up, the little living organisms in the soil begin to die off. Then the fine root hairs that interact with those micro-organisms die off too, making it harder for the plant to absorb nutrients. Interestingly, Pavlis says that when water returns all of the microbes take off running with a burst of growth fuelled by all of those dead organisms-- which uses up all of the available nitrogen, and results in the plants being nitrogen deficient for a time. Good chance that this exact scenario is playing out for us in real time, right before my eyes. Makes me think I should put on my rain jacket and get out there with my watering can and some fish fertilizer. Hmmmm. Might just do that.

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_085114358.jpg
    IMG_20230725_085114358.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Latest posts