Your Weather 2023

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my desire to coax rain into breaking our long dry spell, I've tried washing the car and watering the garden while shouting "since it will never rain..."). I even filled the pool to just below the overflow line, and dared it to rain...

Nothing.

Well, it seems I finally crossed the red line. I left bales of mulch hay out in the rural garden, and said "no need to put them away, it won't rain tomorrow". At about noon today, I watched the big storm in Iowa take a left turn, and head straight for me. Apparently dry unprotected hay is irresistible. :lol: I hurried out to get a little done before the rain arrived, and spread mulch around two bean rows before rain drove me back into the car.

Oh, and the hay? A small sacrifice, for the sake of the farmers. 🧑‍🌾 I'll just have to make a point of spreading it before it molds.

Wish it was always that easy to attract rain, that would make a good side hustle.

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my desire to coax rain into breaking our long dry spell, I've tried washing the car and watering the garden while shouting "since it will never rain..."). I even filled the pool to just below the overflow line, and dared it to rain...

Nothing.

Well, it seems I finally crossed the red line. I left bales of mulch hay out in the rural garden, and said "no need to put them away, it won't rain tomorrow". At about noon today, I watched the big storm in Iowa take a left turn, and head straight for me. Apparently dry unprotected hay is irresistible. :lol: I hurried out to get a little done before the rain arrived, and spread mulch around two bean rows before rain drove me back into the car.

Oh, and the hay? A small sacrifice, for the sake of the farmers. 🧑‍🌾 I'll just have to make a point of spreading it before it molds.

Wish it was always that easy to attract rain, that would make a good side hustle.
Yep, looks like the rain we needed so much finally came then moved on to you. :) In the last 24 hours we have gotten 2.29 " :weee Might get more on Friday,

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman as melon rinds are to worms, hay bales are to rain clouds... :) i'm glad you finally got some rains there. they've then bounced across our betwixtpond and arrived about an hour ago here.

we were just getting surface dried out enough to make it something i wanted, but it also worked out perfectly for timing because while it was supposed to maybe rain yesterday it didn't much at all, so the two day ago weeding will likely be much more effective than it would have been had it rained. :) believe me when i say i'll take any bit of improvement i can get there... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hottest day in the forecast for the next week is tomorrow at 85F. the rest of the days are max 81F and down into the high 70sF. quite the contrast between what i expected and what i read. with everyone else getting toasty i expected we too would be up higher too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We needed the rain, but we only got about 3/4". We need the heat too; as uncomfortable as it is for people, those hot July days really turbo-charge plant growth.

I've been waiting for a rain to put up my pepper covers, the ground was just too dry. I bury the edges of the cover, and couldn't dig a trench without the sides caving back in. I'll try to get them all done tomorrow, wind permitting.

Edit to add - wind not permitting, too breezy to handle the floating row cover. :(

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another pop-up thunderstorm drew a beeline for us, and hit both my home, and the rural garden. Only about 3/4", but the gardens really perked up, and the grass has started greening again. As little rain as we've had so far, hopefully these storms are an indication that whatever diverts most storms around us may be breaking down... but that voice in my head whispers "be careful what you wish for". :hide

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
One more storm today popped up & took the exact same path as the other two, traveling due East... which since the rural garden is due West, means it hit both there and at home. A brief downpour, just enough to chase me back indoors, and give the weeds a brief respite from my wrath.

My initial rainfall estimate (based upon a bucket) was high. To judge by the fill line in the pool, it looks like we got just over an inch total from all 3 storms. That's only an inch. :D Just enough to keep me out of the garden for a few days.