Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It didn't freeze ... and, it was the first time in many weeks that I have made the pre-7AM trek out to the garage to move garbage cans to the curb without turning on the motion detection light!

This was the first morning in the last 4 weeks for it to be above freezing. The Half Moon was bright in the morning sky. This is mid-February?!!

It's a little misleading to relate and, perhaps, in reality. There is a chance of snow/rain today and wind gusts above 30mph 🙄. (It wasn't windy while I was out there ... :).) It's also misleading in that, while we have had mild Winter weather for weeks & weeks -- there hasn't been a single day above 50°f (10°C) since very early November. Yeah, just after we had lots of snow. That snow is still under the pile of white stuff beside the corner of the driveway and under the pile that slid off the carport roof. Otherwise, there is no snow in the yard.

I'm on my normal schedule for starting seed, which means that I have done practically nothing and won't for another week ;). After all, we have had enough snow to knock the (temporary) hoop house down in mid-March 3 times and below ZeroF record lows on all but 4 February days in the past - and one of those days was February 29th (1960 :D). There is little reason for me to take much of a Leap of Faith that this Winter weather indicates a coming early Spring.

Steve
who started tomatoes on Valentine's Day 1994 when it was below 0°f - he really shoulda known that it was too early that year!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the miniature daffodils are 2-3 inches already. warm weather the next several days and then chances of snow and cold for a few more days so we'll see which way this goes...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had a lovely sunny day, and then a storm rolled in so quickly, it was like watching a movie on fast-forward. The wind knocked the power out, so I did some soil blocking by candlelight. It was too dark to sow snapdragon seeds, but I was able to get two dozen sweet peas all tucked in. The are from Ardelia Farm, varieties Nancy and Spring Sunshine Cerise.

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_174447629.jpg
    IMG_20230213_174447629.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 53

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’re not quite ready to talk about weather just yet. Thankfully i bought a plow truck this year and am enjoying riding in the warm cab, listening to the radio. Previously i used a wheeler mounted plow And most of the time was very cold.
Give us another 6 weeks and we might have something to brag about.

Attachments

• 39EA8879-E901-4587-9222-AD3C3F37786F.jpeg
    39EA8879-E901-4587-9222-AD3C3F37786F.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 53772B47-D5A0-4B8A-AD8B-1F5CB997AA17.jpeg
    53772B47-D5A0-4B8A-AD8B-1F5CB997AA17.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 45

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been a pretty warm February so far. But I'm a believer in the teeter-totter theory of temperature; everything tends to balance out in the end. March weather often 'comes in like a lion'... and sometimes brings the whole pride. I only last year rebuilt the patio destroyed several years ago by a record April snow storm... the pride of March lions must have eaten all the ground hogs that year. :lol:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are saying we’ve had 85 inches so far, and typically it can go several ways this time of year.
Typically January/February can be our coldest month’s. This year not so much; it’s been hovering around zero for a few days but the forecast shows a bit of warming coming. With the solar declination increasing daily; it’s only a matter of time before this goes away. However; we have had over a ft. Of snow in late April before. Of course it only lasted a couple days.

This can also be our snowiest time of the year And many years we get most of it after my birthday, which was a week ago.

one thing for sure, by June we’ll know exactly what kind of winter we‘re gonna have this year.😳

The rest of you need to take advantage of your “head start” for when it doe’s turn we’ll catch up and surpass many areas because of those looooong days we’re noted for.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 17°f (-8°C) with the Moon and stars shining brightly.

23f (-5C) yesterday morning and the thermometer never hit 40f (4C).

So, our unusual overnight warmth under clear skies kinda blew away. Supposed to be above that 40°f mark for several afternoons this week.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had to go out today and rescue two lawn chairs that were blowing around the yard. they'd moved from near the tree where Mom put them to try to protect the tree from being eaten by the deer about sixty feet closer to the house. these are not too lightweight so by that you know it was very windy out there. then i turned the wheelbarrows over after removing the blankets that were laying on the ground. she'd taken the blankets to cover the wheelbarrows so someone wouldn't be too tempted to take them. i just piled extra bricks on the wheelbarrows to keep them from moving too much. or i hoped. we'll see. they hadn't moved by the time i got home from the library.

Latest posts