Your Weather 2023

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Had some really good luck today with weather. The snowbanks have eclipsed the average car heights everywhere, so pulling out of anywhere, even my driveway or the gas station is nerve wracking because you're pulling out blind. Personally I try to inch my way out, leaning hard into my dash close to the windshield to get a look see. Ugh. In the past, once we get to this stage dump trucks will sometimes go to around taking loads from the snowbanks. For whatever reason I haven't seen that this year. But! Today it rained so the banks are getting shrunk down pretty good. What a relief!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Today it rained so the banks are getting shrunk down pretty good. What a relief!!

when we had a lot of snow a while ago i was backing out of the driveway and thought i'd looked both ways to make sure all was clear but almost backed out into someone (they saw me and stopped before, but they also did beep their horn at me - i waved apologetically *mea idiosa*) it wasn't a fun thing to have done and i yelled at myself for most of that morning for doing that so now i'm being more careful and looking three times, etc.

this however is true for my entire driving career that backing up has always been the worst chance i have of doing mayhem.

a car with a seat in the middle that rotated and could be driven from either side would be perfect. never back up again... with electrics this may become very easy to do...

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might be good news for Westerners. Spring runoff looks dicey but this is quite a contrast with recent years in with Summer drought. Still, I'm right up there on the dang border of Okay & Not So Okay.

USDA.png

And, I'm wondering what "No basin value" means ...

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Meanwhile here in the northeast, we are now experiencing prolonged periods of 50-60 F degree weather. This after several days in the deep freeze (was -25 F on my front porch one night). Also it has been an oddly snow-less winter so far. The snow plow guy has made only a single trip out to clear my driveway thus far. Looking at the massive snowfalls some of you out west are dealing with, I'm definitely not complaining. My disappearing sense of balance and bad knee caused me to give up cross-country skiing some years ago, so I don't miss the snow.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At the burn barrel yesterday, i noticed my fire stirring stick which seemed to convey “a symbolic message” that old man winter is tired! We’ll be glad when he decides to takes a hike!

Attachments

• 3285482A-14D4-4858-9A43-EAA2E63DB836.jpeg
    3285482A-14D4-4858-9A43-EAA2E63DB836.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 58

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might be good news for Westerners. Spring runoff looks dicey but this is quite a contrast with recent years in with Summer drought. Still, I'm right up there on the dang border of Okay & Not So Okay.

View attachment 55146
And, I'm wondering what "No basin value" means ...

the rockies and sierra nevadas are both doing great this season and everyone in those regions is hoping for more storms this winter before the melt begins again. they're already in some places at their yearly Apr 1st average and yet some time to go so any storms that add more is bonus for sure. :) good news as the reservoirs and Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both scraping along just above power generation pool.

the no basin data is probably because you're looking at a snow water equivalents in the western USoA where it is more arid and people are concerned with runoff. more east you go the less concern there is to measure the snow pack that may run off. less populated areas are not too likely to install a lot of snow depth gauges.

with newer technologies coming along they may be doing more readings via satellites and planes in the future. they're finding out that the snow gauges they have they still don't have a very accurate idea of how much water really is up there in those snow packs to melt off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I expected to look out on falling snow this morning. Still hasn't happened. Lots of wind with gusts up to 40mph but it has calmed down a little, overnight. Above freezing for 48 hours although it is right at freezing right now with the sun almost up on the cloudy horizon.

The greenhouse is exactly the same temperature as the outdoors. This is what so much wind can do with a structure with so little insulation. The insulated roof and north wall help hold heat only when there is less air movement around the sunshed. I'll be pumping heat in there in these conditions late March.

The weather is coming to us out of Canada. Canadian radar show some significant snowstorms in several places but we will just have to wait awhile to see what happens here. The Weather Service is steady in their prediction of very cold temperatures later this week. They are adding some windy forecasts to that now. I'd better be putting a second tarp over the potted perennials huddled on the greenhouse floor by evening today.

🌬️ steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So... right before the early January "snowSTORM" I ran all of the old gas out of my nice snowblower. I staged it in back of my truck in the garage. Not used it YET.
Although DD Did order her new car, a Toyota 4Runner, it won't be in before they leave for their cruise, so My truck gets to go to Charleston, South Carolina instead. I will have to move the snowblower back under my scaffoding and in front of my car parking place.
We will get Rain tomorrow, and probably not enough.
I predict ONE snowstorm here...in April.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the snow/ice/blech mostly went south of us so we're lucky and didn't have any power problems. looks like we picked up about 3-4 inches of snow. the cold and wind will be the harder part of dealing with the snow, but we can handle this. i'll go out and do some shovelling this morning for a while just to get a start on things. it will feel good to get moving more again.

today's forecast is fog, snow, ice, rain in whatever order you care to take it (and some wind but not above 40mph).

Latest posts