Zucchini and Goats

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of the families in the congregation has more produce coming from their garden than they can use. These Zucchini are huge, but tender and wonderful!

Zucchiniemail.jpg

The newest kids are now two weeks old! They are so cute and frisky! It is fun just to watch them play.

GracieandGeoge2weeksoldemail.jpg

Here is George giving Shadow a kiss on her head. Shadow is such a patient goat!

GeorgekissingShadowemail.jpg

Yesterday I got almost three gallons of milk!! One of the goats whose triplets are now weaned is giving over a gallon a day! Neat O! Having triplets, she is used to giving lots of milk!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adorable pics, as usual! I had no idea you could get that much milk- a day! Is it necessary to be on a strict milking schedule with goats, like cows, or is there more wiggle room? Always enjoy seeing what you are up to!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Adorable pics, as usual! I had no idea you could get that much milk- a day! Is it necessary to be on a strict milking schedule with goats, like cows, or is there more wiggle room? Always enjoy seeing what you are up to!
We try to keep a schedule of sorts. But, the goats are pretty flexible. Anywhere from 12 to 16 hours between milkings seems to be ok... But, when you are a bit late, they are all at the gate "Mawing" to be milked!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Goats and zuchini? Good combination. I need some goats to eat my zuchini. The neighbors are atarting to hide when they see me coming. "Oh lord, here he comes with that damn zuchini again".:barnie

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Goats and zuchini? Good combination. I need some goats to eat my zuchini. The neighbors are atarting to hide when they see me coming. "Oh lord, here he comes with that damn zuchini again".:barnie
My chickens won't eat a Zucchini if I leave it whole, but they will eat the peels if I chop them up.

My Desert Tortoise "Zoop" won't eat Zucchini. I wish he would! This year he seems to like bananas, apples and lettuce the best. Every year he has different favorite foods.

Here he is eating an apple.

Pinktongueemail.jpg

Spartacus is saying "HEY, I like apples!"
HeyIlkeapplesemail.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd never seen the inside of a turtle's mouth before! :lol:

My dog likes apples too. :)

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your pics rebbetzin....looks like you have a bunch of different critters to keep you entertained!

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Great pictures and what cute kids!

We ended up with tons of zucchini last year. I planted six plants, and it made more fruit than a dozen people could handle, my friends did not even want any more, and I canned so much we'll be eating for two years. We got so sick of it we made it into goat food. It's nice to have animals around that will eat anything! This year the zucchini never even sprouted.

Goats are on a schedule, just like cows. You can milk them once a day instead of twice, but they will only produce half as much milk. And you can't really skip days, going that long will make them uncomfortable from being so full, and doing it very often will make them start to go dry. For good dairy goats, a gallon a day is average from a standard sized goat, but I have neighbors with a couple of 2-3 gallon a day girls. (Those udders are ridiculous, they nearly drag the ground!)

Here's one of my little zucchini disposal systems: This is Baruch, my future buck. He's 8 weeks old now.
SANY0161.jpg

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Baruch looks like a very nice young fellow! I would miss not having an exterior ear flap. I was reading you can breed the ears to come back, but then they can't be registered as La Mancha, if that is what breed he is.

Shabbat Shalom,

Latest posts