Zucchini Fritters

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got inspired by Bay, to make fritters. Made these for Father's Day bbq and they were a hit!

IMG_0729.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So glad I could provide you with some good ol' Southern culinary inspiration! Aren't they delicious?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
With or without Old Bay Seasoning?
Ooops, no Old Bay seasoning.

Mary
So glad I could provide you with some good ol' Southern culinary inspiration! Aren't they delicious?
Yes they were very good. Are they supposed to be a little crunchy? Mine were not. But they did sit around for about 20 minutes till everybody and everything got settled.

I feel so southern now! :D

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only crunchy around the edges, my DH likes them real crunchy. I let him fry them last time I made them and he burned them to crispy. We still ate every one of them.

Your fritters look perfect.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
he's dead......old German immigrant. Named after a ship.

I'm slow. Just got your references....

When he died, mix sold for $25,000,000.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG, those look so yummy, recipe please, pretty please:).

Annette

Annette, this is for you. I have played around with the recipe and think I have made some improvements. I like using the cornmeal rather than the flour, the cornmeal being cooked by the boiling water just seems to have a better taste and texture than a glob of flour. If you don't want to use the cornmeal, then use a cup of flour instead and omit the boiling water. I also made zucchini bread, but used shredded yellow squash and it was good.

2 cups shredded squash (I used yellow crookneck)
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup boiling water
1 egg
1/2 large onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt, pepper to taste
Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour

In large bowl, pour boiling water over cornmeal, stir it. Add other ingredients, except flour. If mix is too "juicy" add 1/4 cup flour. Spoon drop small amounts in hot oil, smash flat. Turn and brown on both sides. Add more flour if needed. If your fritter goes to pieces in the oil, add more flour.