Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
A friend from church had a meeting with me at Panera Bread. It was a short meeting, and I took half of my coffee with me to drink later. After picking up some vegetables at home to give to another friend on the other side of town, I put them behind the back seat, and was on my way.

10 minutes into the trip, the coffee ended up on my windshield, along with many of the tomatoes. :ep

Approaching a stoplight on a 4-lane road, the light turned green as I approached. My lane (on the right) was clear, so I proceeded through. There were 3 cars in the left lane; the front car was waiting on traffic to make a left. The 2nd car behind it was apparently impatient, and turned suddenly into the right lane - directly in front of me. A second later, my van was rolling over, I was belted in hanging over the right side, and nearly everything which had been anywhere in the car was now in the front. Once responders had arrived, I was able to exit via the rear door - the only one which was accessible & could still open.

I thank the Almighty that the seat belt worked perfectly, and I was not injured (nor apparently were the occupants of the other vehicle) but my favorite van is likely a total loss. The police cited the other driver for an unsafe turn without signal, so their insurance will be liable. My mechanic will inspect & evaluate the damage, but the left front is caved in, both sides are heavily damaged, and the trans axle appears to have cracked... so the van will likely be a total loss. :(
:hugs:hugs:hugs
🙏🙏🙏
So Glad that you took your angels with you that day!!!

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A friend from church had a meeting with me at Panera Bread. It was a short meeting, and I took half of my coffee with me to drink later. After picking up some vegetables at home to give to another friend on the other side of town, I put them behind the back seat, and was on my way.

10 minutes into the trip, the coffee ended up on my windshield, along with many of the tomatoes. :ep

Approaching a stoplight on a 4-lane road, the light turned green as I approached. My lane (on the right) was clear, so I proceeded through. There were 3 cars in the left lane; the front car was waiting on traffic to make a left. The 2nd car behind it was apparently impatient, and turned suddenly into the right lane - directly in front of me. A second later, my van was rolling over, I was belted in hanging over the right side, and nearly everything which had been anywhere in the car was now in the front. Once responders had arrived, I was able to exit via the rear door - the only one which was accessible & could still open.

I thank the Almighty that the seat belt worked perfectly, and I was not injured (nor apparently were the occupants of the other vehicle) but my favorite van is likely a total loss. The police cited the other driver for an unsafe turn without signal, so their insurance will be liable. My mechanic will inspect & evaluate the damage, but the left front is caved in, both sides are heavily damaged, and the trans axle appears to have cracked... so the van will likely be a total loss. :(
Glad you are okay. Thank the Lord.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Driving.

There seems so much emphasis on immediacy. "Be there. Be there, now!" Surely, this isn't fundamental to being a "driver." Could I say that it is no "starting point?"

A few years ago, I was thinking how driving at a speed less than 5 mph over the speed limit was an added risk. Now, it's as though less than 10 mph over is a risk. What has happened to an understanding that the limits are limits to speed?

Not being limited is not functioning in a civilization. It's not civil behavior. Making sudden decisions compromises others, as that driver's sudden decision to change lanes compromised @Zeedman 's life. Everyone benefits that he was not injured.

Steve
@digitS' , while immediacy & impatience are undoubtedly part of the issue, IMO it is only one symptom of a larger issue: the general disrespect for law. When the speed limit was 55, people drove 65. When the freeway speed limit was raised to 70, people drive 80 (or over). I firmly believe that the speed itself is not an issue; that if the speed limit was raised to 100, people would drive 110.

Yes, you either believe in & accept that society has limits, or you don't. Too many, an increasing number, choose "don't". Along with disrespect for law, the respect for others seems to be dissolving. We are devolving into a real-life Mad Max dystopia, where there are diminishing consequences for incivility. I fear for my grand children's future. :(

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no @Zeedman !! I’m relieved that you are ok, but the total wipeout of your van! I’m so sorry! The insurance will pay you for it, scarcely a down payment on another one. New ones have so many gadgets on them, it’s ridiculous AND they are priced to the moon! What an aggravating event. I’m just glad you are ok, but now you get hit again-in the checkbook. Not fair.
Fortunately, I have a son-on-law who is very good at finding bargain vehicles. I still have another vehicle, so there is no need for urgency. Just won't be going on any long drives for awhile, since my tow vehicle is a gas hog.

And as if my life wasn't fun enough already, there are 2 yellow jacket nests in my foundation... and one of them has found their way into my basement. I'll have to move my computer if I can't get rid of them, since they are drawn to the ceiling light just above my head. :ep I keep a bug zapper right there & haven't been stung yet (killed 3 while typing this) but don't intend to push my luck. The first one that stings marks you with a scent that attracts others, and these are BIG nests. How big? I've been vacuuming them up at the entrance hole for several days, caught this many - and they are (a) still swarming, and (b) still getting in the house. It's funny watching them (from a distance) trying to sting the shop vac... it's an armored-dillio. :lol: Counting them will be a project for some boring day after gardening & seed processing is over.
20230928_135224.jpg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been so busy lately taking care of chicks, rabids, horses, pig and feral cats my garden has been neglected but is still blessing us.
We have hundreds of peaches that are juicy and sweet, raspberries still coming, blackberries and apples. Everything overproduced this year and I had no time for thinning, but I’m stronger than I was so hopefully next year I will do better. But I’m so happy to have all this in our backyard!

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
images

It's all by the coffee pot so pour a cup or make a glass of Iced Coffee, just need to forewarn you you might have to put the cup into the micro for a couple of minutes to heat it up. I apologize for not getting on here sooner I've been trying to finish what I started the other day seeing how FH is going to be home later today just for the weekend seeing how they have to go back to the same spot next week to pave what they milled out this week. Almost the entire month of October he and his coworkers are going to be out of town.
@Zeedman I wouldn't want to be in your shoes with all those bees. If you can move the queen safely to another location then the others should follow or not to be hard to get rid of. Just seeing the pic gave me the jeebees.
Right now it's 60 but a Misty cloudy morning and suppose to clear up this weekend. I do have to say I wouldn't want to be in New York state end of next week seeing how that's when they are suppose to get their first SNOW.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee @Country Homesteader I’m on my second cup.
@Zeedman !! You need a skunk. A skunk would dig out those yellow jackets and eat them. Skunks dine royally on yellow jackets and bees. They seem to be impervious to their stings. But failing to invite a hungry skunk….. call an exterminator! Now! Get rid of those things!

Latest posts