Dangerous Grandma!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! You guys need to be careful!. Well, little sweet princess me had absolutely no childhood scars. :plbb But as a 60 yr. old gym rat, I do have some on one shin when I dropped the bar with weights. :(

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, as usual, you all make me feel better with your comments. We took Eden to the dentist today and he repaired the tooth with bonding of some plastic stuff. He had to give her a shot in the front gums, and I thought I would pass out, but I don't think she even knew what was going on, since he had put some numbing gel on it and kept wiggling her lip (rather vigorously) while he shot the stuff in. I was having sympathy pains from the last time I had a couple of crowns done. That hurt more than anything I have ever experienced.
Anyway, he said it may last and it may not. :rolleyes: She may need a root canal if it doesn't last.
Bad thing is, I have always been the type to let the kids have the freedom to romp and explore, but my daughter-in-law is not.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky, it's always better to let kids have the freedom to romp, explore, and get hurt than to not let them do it. I always select parents who are ok with that over prissy parents who baby and over protect their kids.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
First, the bad grandma. My grandchildren were playing on my bed, trying to make me get up early one weekend. The youngest was about 6 months old. He was bounced off the edge of the bed, but grandma grabbed his arm and kept him from falling to the ground. Not sure if he would have been hurt worse hitting the floor, but Grandma broke his poor little arm with that one.

Other than that incident, Grandma's house was safer than home for the babies. They were able to run and play, swing and slide, get dirty and climb trees -- all things they couldn't do at home. We washed up before they went home and Mom seldom knew the extent of the many immunities I helped their bodies develop.

As a toddler, my Maverick fell out of bed one night and hit his eyebrow on the corner of a table. No crying, but he woke up and crawled into bed with Mom and Dad. The next morning Mom awoke to find the bed covered with blood -- head wounds tend to bleed a lot -- and Maverick with a dashing scar through one eyebrow.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somehow this reminds me of a time when we had a lot of family visiting, with several young kids. They had a ball climbing the pine trees. When DH realized the little monkeys were covered in pine sap, he lined them up and used WD40 to clean them up, unbeknownst to the rest of us. When they finally came inside, he loudly announced "If the kids smell funny, you can blame me!"

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing my daughter was adamant about was slathering the grands with insect repellant when they were here in the country. One day I covered the oldest and the youngest, but the middle boy was no where to be found. Finally I cornered him and he insisted he had already put the bug spray on himself. Sure enough, he had liberally sprayed his bare skin with RAID bug spray!

Poor baby, I tossed him into the shower where I had him lather up, rinse, repeat, and repeat again before I let him out. I was never quite sure what might have happened if I hadn't questioned him, but I never regretted having the cleanest kid in the county either.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was a pretty careful child growing up and never had any of those kinds of mishaps. I've hurt myself more often as an adult actually! I can't recall any major accidents aside from my mother telling me that I ate a mushroom in the yard when I was a baby and had to be given ipecac syrup. There was the occasional skinned knee here and there, but that's about it. My parents didn't have health insurance when we were growing up and I think that helped all 3 of us think to be a perhaps a little more cautious. None of us had any trips to the ER as kids and would have had to have been half dead if we did. But we were always free to run and play, in the woods, in the creek, ride our bikes all over the neighborhood...I guess we must have really worn our guardian angels out. :p I had these wild cousins though, they were always breaking bones and nearly killing each other. Actually, I just remembered--two of those cousins did actually send my sister to the ER. They pulled her shoulder out of socket by pulling each of them on one of her arms, fighting over her like a doll. Their dad footed that bill though. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Goop, the mechanic's hand cleaner, removes pitch.

There is now an orange Goop. Biodegradable but I imagine that it works. I just use the goop Dad kept on the workbench ..

. and, I keep beside an outside faucet.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A old cat breeder once taught me to use goop on cats that where very greasy. You used it before the bath, worked great breaking down the oils in their coats.

Latest posts