Decorating with flair!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, for you paint the dining table people..... cringe........ I was pointing out that Red could clean the furniture with Goop hand cleaner, preserve it's integrity and have her dining set look all shiny new again. Much easier than strip, sand, refinish anyhow..... :plbb

Are you talking to me @baymule ? Haha! Hey, you're absolutely right, and I would never, EVER paint a good piece of wood furniture!
I don't think painting the antiques was ever an issue. I just meant if I had an old beat up antique (I did) and it was in need of stripping sanding and refinishing then I would do it ( I did). I have never heard of the Goop trick, I may try that sometime on my old wardrobe.
I refinished my old buffet because it definitely needed it and the change was worth it.

I think Reds set is beautiful and the finish looks good to me.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, for you paint the dining table people..... cringe........ I was pointing out that Red could clean the furniture with Goop hand cleaner, preserve it's integrity and have her dining set look all shiny new again. Much easier than strip, sand, refinish anyhow..... :plbb
@baymule, I think the discussion was more about whether I should paint the doors and woodwork. Then someone mentioned the caution needed in deciding to refinish wood furniture and possibly 'ruin' the value of an antique piece.

Have you used Goop for cleaning wood? I really do like the idea and plan to ask DS to stop for some before he gets out here to paint. Yup! Gypsy and I went paint shopping last night. She kept reading the names of blue hues and holding them up to the living room brick I brought along. I got something a tad more dark apricot and far less pink.

In the family voting, there are two votes for the current color (pink). DH and GDS both like the pink color and for the same reasons. Neither wants anyone to go through the hassle of repainting a clean room. Two votes are for a less pink version of the wall covering (that's DS and me) and one is still holding out for the 'sophistication' of blue walls.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
paint the samples on the walls then wait 24 hrs to see them in all kinds of light. The goop trick works great on painted furnture, didn't know could be used on wood. when using goop on painted use superfine steel wool then wipe off with paper towel.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Goop is great stuff for cleaning woodwork. It doesn't hurt the finish on antiques, just make sure to use the plain Goop, not the kind with grit in it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the Goop trick/tip. I may give it a go on a few pieces around here.
@Smart Red Has the wall been repainted? Or did your helpers run out of steam?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the two day-old pink being covered by the apricot-ish "Azalea Blossom" Gypsy and I picked up Saturday night.
diningnew1.JPG

The light makes a big difference. This is the same corner, but the colors are off.
diningnew2.JPG

Here is the finished room with the cleaned buffet. I still love these pieces -- best $350 I ever spent.
diningnew3.JPG

I love the new color! However, we have been discussing changing the bigger space of the living room into the dining room and the smaller, but beautiful new dining room into a more intimate living room. TBA

Tomorrow we start on the next space -- the living/new dining(?) room. You can get a peek at my old lights hanging in that room in the mirror reflection. Came out of a men's clothing store in town after being taken from a "mansion" in the Chicago area. I always figured they were more likely taken from the barn than the mansion.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the new color! That is beautiful! I know you will enjoy that for a long time.

@ninnymary Goop is the brand name. You can probably get it in the automotive department in Walmart or a auto parts store. There is regular and with a grit. Make sure you DO NOT get the kind with grit, it will scratch the finish. Test a small spot, rub in some Goop, let set a few minutes and rub off with a clean rag.