Do you have an 'outdoor room' - and what do you use it for?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
tree-houses.jpg

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kinda think big cities killed the front porch.. How often do you see people sitting on the porch anymore... I could see using that treehouse

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of people sit outside in the summer. The midwest has plenty of older houses with front porches and they are used. Granted, AC has changed a lot of outside sitting. I think the 'burbs tend to have more back yard sitting as visiting with neighbors passing by isn't as common.

Early morning and mid-evening are good sit'n times.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well and places out here in Washington seem to be different that way
when I was a kid on the farm Ma and Dad would sit outside at night under
one of our front trees more than the porch, when I lived at the lake Whitman here had a front
deck with more square feet than the comfy A-frame home was always out there in good weather.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have an enclosed front porch on our 100+yo home. It isn't heated, but it is screened with windows. It isn't large, but we have a glass table and chairs and 4 Adironack chairs, 2 face the other two, two are gliders. The nice thing is that is ISN'T buggy! Not at all fancy, but we spend as much time there as we can during the warm--ER weather.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the porch complements. DH gets all the credit, as he is our builder. He didn't pour the slab though, -those guys were here pouring our basement. We wanted colored concrete, they wanted $1500 (just for the color).
While they were smoothing out the slab, DH sprinkled concrete dyes on it. He already had some around from making concrete countertops. The concrete guys thought he was crazy, with his psychedelic porch! It is fairly subtle though, and I really like it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plans were always for a gazebo. I always envisioned a space for an outside kitchen which stored beneath the gazebo when not in use.

Now that all plans are off, we'll have to see what son and his family "see" as workable. They do far more entertaining than Mom and Dad ever did.

Latest posts