Felt Garden Box

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 , you rock!
greenstars.gif
I can't believe how quickly you got this done. I love the potatoes too!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , I think your kids will love it!

Pea pods would be cool too, if I could figure out a way to make a pea plant. DH said I should sell them at my shows, but I'm not real crazy about that much hand sewing. It was fun to make something more creative than dozens more pot holders and aprons for a change.
Figure out how many hours it took you and price it accordingly. You could always start out with 2 to see how they sell. I know I would pay good money for one.
Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 , you are fast! Did you use velcro on the strawberries? And I like the idea of cinching the tops of the carrots rather than stitching a circle on the top. Did you stuff the leaves inside before you cinched it or did you attach them after? (I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain).

I thought potatoes would be fun too. Mine are a mottled russet potato colored felt I found at Michaels, but this morning Kid#2 informed me they weren't potato shaped. :rolleyes: Okay, the prototype one does look a little more like a bean, but don't worry Mary, I'm not using that one. :p

Mary, you know my incentive wasn't $$$$$! It was that all expenses paid trip to Hawaii you promised. :D

I'm not as fast as Lavender, but it's getting worked on a little every day, you should get it before Christmas.....if you're real good. :hugs

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@journey11 , I had most of the supplies, it really goes pretty quick once you figure out the patterns... looking over my fabrics to see what else looks like a vegetable.:D

@ninnymary, it's not just the cost vs. time. I have a pinched nerve that causes cramping in my hand when I hold things, like for hand sewing. It's not much of a problem when I use the machine. That and I've never really liked hand sewing so much. I guess I am a pedal to the metal kinda stitcher.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom - yes, I used black Velcro, I thought It looked better than white, and of course I have most other colors except green. I wasn't real crazy about that circle on the top of the carrot either. I put a large button in the top (inside) to keep it flat (you could use cardboard also) or it may not be necessary, I'm still working on the carrot because I was having trouble hand stitching the duck cloth I was determined to use. :rolleyes:Yes, I stuck the leaves inside, then cinched closed.

Nah, I don't mind sharing tips, but let me know if you figure out a way to make a pea plant. :D

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, the first one that finishes mine gets a free trip to Hawaii. Ready, Set, Go! :lol:

thistle, don't send me that non potatoe shape! haha It all sounds pretty complicated to me. :he Who in the world thinks of these things? :idunno

Mary
Wait, Hawaii... I think I like hand sewing a lot more now!
:lol:
:yuckyuck

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , I did the Velcro different than in the directions, to make it smaller, less noticeable, and to avoid running over a pipe cleaner in my machine.
Instead of poking the pipe cleaner through the leaf... I sewed a small piece of Velcro to the leaf, cut off any excess ends of the Velcro. Then I bent a small circle on the end of the pipe cleaner and hand stitched the leaf to it. A very small amount of Velcro will hold the strawberry and makes it easier to pull it off, and maybe I'm too picky about Velcro hanging out...:hide

Latest posts