Felt Garden Box

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay! Glad it was so much fun. How big was the box? Could you make it bigger next time? Or is it better to have 2 boxes instead of 1 big one?

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary , the box I used was only 12 by 13" (5 1/2" deep). I'm sure I could squeeze a few more of each veggie in, load up the strawberry plant and pea vine, and add some vines that could hang outside the box, just toss them on top for storing. It was mostly just a trial, but I thought it would be good to keep to a size easy to store on the toy shelves. I have a couple boxes that are 12 by 16" for Jamie to help make when she comes to stay, around Easter. We'll see how much we can get in one box or make two if she wants.

I guess it depends on how much room you have to store toys, and if your kids are going to open a food stand.:D

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved hearing how they actually played with it, @Lavender2 , such good imaginations! But of course they'd have to open a farmer's market stand to go with it. So cute and clever. :D What a great educational toy this will make.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's so great @Lavender2 ! I think you're going to have to go into production mode now! My MG class for tomorrow got canceled so I'll be working on Marys box. Thanks for the tip about the stems, I was pondering the best way to accomplish that part. A lot of my efforts have been trial and error.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's so great @Lavender2 ! I think you're going to have to go into production mode now! My MG class for tomorrow got canceled so I'll be working on Marys box. Thanks for the tip about the stems, I was pondering the best way to accomplish that part. A lot of my efforts have been trial and error.

Sorry your class got canceled, hopefully it was just as fun playing with felt and pipe cleaners. I made 2 of the pea vines and twisted them together in the center, it made it stand up better, and will probably add a third vine. I've had a lot of trial and error also.

I already have requests for 3 gardens ... and was just asked to make a photo quilt for a retirement ... :hide ... I need to start planting real veggies or we will have to figure out how to eat felt.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Felt salads sound a little dry @Lavender2 !

I decided to try making an eggplant for Marys box because she grows them. I ran a pipe cleaner up a plastic drinking straw and then sewed the felt tube around it like your tip for the stems. It makes it stand up pretty good. I don't know if the pipe cleaner is necessary, but I thought it might make it a little sturdier. I put 3 stems together and with the leaves on and it looks pretty good, ( if you don't look at it as a palm tree). :\
I'll be making the fruit today, and maybe can post a picture soon.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:D ... I thought the felt may work better in stir fry.

Great idea to use a straw for sturdy stems! That may work great for a tomato plant too, I'm having a hard time not having tomatoes in the garden.:p I also thought of twisting a few pipe cleaners together or using a dowel.

My other grandson (2 1/2) said my onion is a garlic, not an onion... I'm not arguing, but now I need to figure out how to make onions again.:lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mostly have Marys garden done. Just a few tweaks, and maybe I'll redo the potatoes.I stuffed them tight so they'd be hard like a real spud, but then I had difficulty making the eyes look like eyes and not warts. :rolleyes:

This was such a fun project! I think it's a little addicting as you think of more plants to create, but obviously you have to draw the line somewhere. I am planning on doing more of these next winter, my neighbor girls were fascinated with it and wanted to play with it.
A good indoor toy for cold rainy or snowy days.

@Lavender2 , did you come up with a tomato plant?

I made an eggplant, an onion, a beet, radishes, carrots and potatoes.
I think Lavenders pea plant is super cute, and I would like to add a cabbage, and a tomato vine, maybe a mini pumpkin, or a watermelon...corn would be fun... but now that work has started up I just need to put a bow on this one and get it to Mary.

Here's some pics of it this far:

DSCN2829.JPG

DSCN2839.JPG

DSCN2825.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice work Thistle! :clap The kids are going to love it! I don't really let them play in my veggie beds so now they can plant till their hearts content. Everything turned out super cute! Can't wait to see it in real life.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awwe, @thistlebloom , that all looks great! Love the crate! ... and the radishes and egg plant, very cute! Your onion looks more like an onion. So neat, I love it! Lucky Mary!

I know what you mean about drawing the line, I had to distract myself and get some seeds in, so no tomato plant yet. It's kinda scary... looking at Major's trailer harvest the other day I saw 'felt lettuce'. :eek:

I was thinking about a more quality box other than cardboard (but cheap/free) and remembered my son's girlfriend recycles pallets into shelves and other crafts. I may look into that. No mass production, but for gifts and friends. Maybe she will make me a few boxes... just because I'm so nice. :lol: