Fruit from Your Childhood

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary that means you need to take a road trip!!! Especially as the color changes are just starting to happen. There's nothing like them.

How about a steam locomotive ride with cider and donuts as you view the landscape in an explosion of reds, yellows and oranges?

Then come back for a Christmas time horse drawn sleigh ride and warm up with a fire and roasted chestnuts?

Can you tell I love the change of seasons? :D

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Jared, you soooo tempt me! Fall is my favorite season, that's why I got married in October. I've always wanted to go back east to see those fall colors. Thought I might be able to this October because our vacation to Cabo, Mexico has been canceled due to the hurricane. But airfare to NY has gone up and we are still waiting to see if United Airlines will refund our money or give us a voucher. I don't think we'll make it this year. But I definitely do need to plan for next year. All those things you mentioned above to do sound lovely. :love

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Jared, you soooo tempt me! Fall is my favorite season, that's why I got married in October. I've always wanted to go back east to see those fall colors. Thought I might be able to this October because our vacation to Cabo, Mexico has been canceled due to the hurricane. But airfare to NY has gone up and we are still waiting to see if United Airlines will refund our money or give us a voucher. I don't think we'll make it this year. But I definitely do need to plan for next year. All those things you mentioned above to do sound lovely. :love

Mary

Mary, there's also a fall train trip that you can take that starts in British Columbia and travels along the border of the U.S. to the St. Laurence river. My in-laws took it and loved it. The fall colors were fantastic they said.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Mexico getting cancelled that has to be disappointing.

Lots of beautiful rides out there just have to look. I took a train from Chicago to New Mexico and returned the same way as a teenager when I went to Philmont high adventure base as a Boy Scout.

I loved the train, it was relaxing and the scenery was breathtaking. I think it's a great way to travel.

Virginia, W. Virginia (just ask Journey & Dew) as well as the N.E like NY, Vermont etc would be stunning in the fall. Even anything through the Rockies like Thistle suggested would be a trip you'd never forget. Get to a place where winter is a season and not a threat ;) and you won't be disappointed.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny here in NY poison ivy is the first to change color in fall. Right now it is the brightest red in a sea of green. Looks great, if didn't know better would plant in garden.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah same here poison ivy and the sumacs are scarlet red. Isn't it beautiful?

I thought one of the non-"poisonous" vines changes colors like that too. Can't remember if it's Boston Ivy or Virginia Creeper or something else entirely if you were looking for a climber that changes colors in the fall.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a little child, my Daddy found a tiny peach tree at a dump. He dug it up, took it home and we planted it. It grew. He never pruned it and the branches draped to the ground, making a hollow near the trunk, perfect for a little girl and her best friend. I have memories of sitting near the trunk, picking a fresh peach and eating it. The juice ran down my arms and dripped off my elbows. Birds lit in the branches, singing and entertaining us. We were hidden under that peach tree, our own little space.

When I was older, we lived in Houston. Our backyard was ringed with shrubs, grapefruit, kumquats and pyracantha. Those kumquats were the best! The skins were sweet, the pulp inside was tart. I want a kumquat tree!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid we lived near an old couple who had gooseberry plants in rows, like you would have blackberries. They have thorns, too. Oh my, they were sour, and no fun to pick (to a 7 year old) but that dear old lady could make a mean gooseberry cobbler.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah same here poison ivy and the sumacs are scarlet red. Isn't it beautiful?

I thought one of the non-"poisonous" vines changes colors like that too. Can't remember if it's Boston Ivy or Virginia Creeper or something else entirely if you were looking for a climber that changes colors in the fall.
Virginia Creeper turns a vivid red about the same time as the PI and sumacs. It makes a beautiful accent along the roadside.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have pleasant memories of walking through backyards and alleyways to and from the swimming pool during the summer. There were several 'secret' places where I stopped to fill my tummy with ripe mulberries and one very special yard with red currants overflowing the fence into the alley. I enjoyed the mulberries, but I fell in love with currants.

Once I got land of my own, currants were one of the first fruits I planted.

Have to say I also loved that first rhubarb pie of the season. To my mind, strawberry rhubarb pie was made with a variety of rhubarb called Strawberry Rhubarb. No one thought to add strawberries to the pie until well into my adulthood. Strawberries were another speedy addition to the fruits in the garden. The rhubarb -- some from my MIL's treasured stock -- took a bit longer to get planted and even longer to get started into a decent sized patch.

Latest posts