Fruit from Your Childhood

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I just googled it and they are loquats. Thistle, do you still want me to throw these up north? :D They are not bad tasting, they are just a pain to eat because the seed takes up most of the room and there isn't much flesh. My chef son wanted to make loquat ice-cream but I told him I wasn't gonna pit all those darn things!

Mary

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lots of beautiful rides out there just have to look. I took a train from Chicago to New Mexico and returned the same way as a teenager when I went to Philmont high adventure base as a Boy Scout.

My dad went there and had a great time. He's gone now, but i have a few things from his trip to Philmont, including a cork coaster with the name stamped on it. I think he took a train from PA and back too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I just googled it and they are loquats. Thistle, do you still want me to throw these up north? :D They are not bad tasting, they are just a pain to eat because the seed takes up most of the room and there isn't much flesh. My chef son wanted to make loquat ice-cream but I told him I wasn't gonna pit all those darn things!

Mary

Well ...Yeah! Of course!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
After closing on our place Tuesday, we discovered several wild persimmon trees growing in the front fence line. We are going to put up a new fence across the front, but just behind the old fence, so we don't disturb the trees.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am loving this thread. :) I remember the wonderful yellow delicious tree in my Grandparent's back yard. (It was also a great tree for climbing) Then the concord grapes and plums that where forbidden fruit as they where in Ms. Irwin's yard! Great Aunt Gert always had a big patch of rhubarb, She would make great jams and pies with it. All kinds of combinations. :drool

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Mexico getting cancelled that has to be disappointing.

Lots of beautiful rides out there just have to look. I took a train from Chicago to New Mexico and returned the same way as a teenager when I went to Philmont high adventure base as a Boy Scout.

I loved the train, it was relaxing and the scenery was breathtaking. I think it's a great way to travel.

Virginia, W. Virginia (just ask Journey & Dew) as well as the N.E like NY, Vermont etc would be stunning in the fall. Even anything through the Rockies like Thistle suggested would be a trip you'd never forget. Get to a place where winter is a season and not a threat ;) and you won't be disappointed.

WOW , Jared, Philmont is every Boy Scouts dream! ;) Did you earn the Eagle Scout rank? Both of my son's have theirs. :D

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
After closing on our place Tuesday, we discovered several wild persimmon trees growing in the front fence line. We are going to put up a new fence across the front, but just behind the old fence, so we don't disturb the trees.

Glad to hear it. One thing though, you might want to check what kind of persimmon trees they are. If they are the Chinese or Japanese species your good to go as soon as the fruit looks ripe. if they are either of the Native species (Diospyros virginiana or D. texana) remember that you will have to let the winter blet them before they are good to eat (D. texana fruit is supposed to turn black when ripe, so you should probably had no trouble recognizing THAT one if that is what you have.)