Fruit from Your Childhood

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a little child, my Daddy found a tiny peach tree at a dump. He dug it up, took it home and we planted it. It grew. He never pruned it and the branches draped to the ground, making a hollow near the trunk, perfect for a little girl and her best friend. I have memories of sitting near the trunk, picking a fresh peach and eating it. The juice ran down my arms and dripped off my elbows. Birds lit in the branches, singing and entertaining us. We were hidden under that peach tree, our own little space.

When I was older, we lived in Houston. Our backyard was ringed with shrubs, grapefruit, kumquats and pyracantha. Those kumquats were the best! The skins were sweet, the pulp inside was tart. I want a kumquat tree!
Bay, my neighbor has a kumquat tree and is always giving me kumquats. But none of us like them so I just smile and say thank you. I then take them inside into my compost bucket.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Throw them north Mary!
I love kumquats too (Bay and I are people with discerning palates. Right Bay?) I also love loquats, the first elementary school I went to had loquat trees planted in the grassy medians between buildings. That school also had wonderful tall windows the length of the classrooms that looked out on these grassy treed areas and filled the rooms with natural light. I guess the wisdom of schools now dictates that children learn better when they can't be distracted by drifting clouds and sunshine on leaves. I think that's too bad and very sad.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I already have bought watermelon seeds for the spring garden at the new house.
Bay... you said that your new place has sandy soil. I had some at my ranch in Central Cal. high desert as well as our house in Wa. I would recommend that you get truck loads of horse manure and peat moss and work it in well. Also, make sure that you have a very adequate water supply as that type of soil is like pouring water down a drain hole. Have fun !

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, now I am confused as to whether our neighbor has kumquats or loquats. The are chinese and they say it brings them good luck. Gotta go google and see which ones they are.

Mary

Latest posts