Heat It Is

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' it got to 103 in Laredo early this spring, so the 100's have already been busted.....just not here in my pine forested little part of the state.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was cooler, seemed less humid, and with a breeze was pretty pleasant. I probably only sweated out 1 gallon. Unlike Tuesday when no matter how much I drank it never reached my bladder.
:oops:

Was that TMI?
I understand. Seems here really is no TMI here. :eek:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We continue to have un-Iowa like weather this summer. Oh, that makes it very Iowa like! LOL. It has been unusually cool here. I am loving it. We are going to MELT for sure when it does come. (Which will probably coincide with the start of the school year Aug. 12th)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 101°f at the nearest WS station yesterday.

@thistlebloom has posted on how a local resident is keeping cool in her neighborhood (LINK).

Me. I only briefly ventured out after 11am. Fortunately, the AC was available or I'd have been relying on the 13% humidity and 55° well water.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is supposed to cool off this weekend and stay in the mid to high 80's for the next week or so. I am ready for it to cool off some. I was working in Walla Walla up to the end of last week, it was over a 100* degrees a few days down there with lows of 79 at night.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strange (but lovely) summer weather we are having! All week has been lower to mid 70's and nights in the 50's very un-IOWA like. It is to begin warming and increasing in humidity by the weekend. I am sure it will be in the 90'ds with matching humidity when it is time for school to resume in Mid August.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not complaining. I don't complain about the weather. It is what it is. Right now it is fantastic. By this time most years, the grass is going to brown. Now I am needing to mow every 5-6 days.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that's one thing @Smart Red .

I mow front on Wednesday, back on Saturday - that is it, invariable (unless it rains, and that sprinkle may not matter).

The last 2 times I mowed, you couldn't see where I'd been or hadn't been ;).

Steve
warm-season gardener

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Weather has been both a blessing and a challenge here. Way too much rain for awhile but luckily I have incredible soil that drains well. The added moisture has generated huge plants but I've had to be extra diligent in controlling fungal problems, bean rust, powdery mildew and septoria. It's finally dried out and everything is under control...so far :) As usual my soil is helping a lot. Not to brag but my property literally has 24 inches of some of the best agricultural soil found anywhere on the planet. Healthy soil means healthy resistant plants :)

Indiana's prairies originally included rich black-soil (silt loam) prairies and sand prairies. The soils of black-soil prairies were extremely rich, and as a result, nearly all of these were plowed for agriculture. High-quality remnants of black-soil prairies are rare in Indiana. Many of the small remnant prairie tracts that remain in Indiana are pioneer cemeteries and old railroad right-of-ways that were never plowed....and my little 1/4 acre that hadn't been disturbed since the house was built in 1922...right next to what is now the cressmore prairie nature preserve.

Last edited:

Latest posts