Heat It Is

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Remnants" is kind of a disturbing word used in relationship to agricultural soil, Ken. None of my gardens here have had more than 8" of topsoil when I started, as best as I could figure. Some must have nearly half gravel. There was no way to go but up ... or down. By gathering it together and putting a lot down on it, the soil has improved over the years. Initially, there wasn't much to work with.

If you are beginning to wonder where the smoke is coming from, Accuweather has a map and satellite picture to show you: (LINK). The forest fires are at some distance from here (several hundred miles) but there is a river of smoke coming right thru my neighborhood!

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's hot here in my little corner of WA too. It's all I can do to keep my plants watered. The corn seems to relish the heat, its doubled in size in just a few days. :) The broccoli isn't so thrilled about the heat.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It truly is sad to think remnants are all that's left. I had no idea the soil on this property was so good when I bought it. The first time I took a shovel to it I remember thinking the next scoop would hit clay. But scoop after scoop was just rich black soil until at 24 inches I hit a clean clay line. It's kind of ironic, I'm actually in town and would like to sell and move more into the country...but I hate the thought of giving up this soil. It really helps with the heat. I'm able to root my plants much deeper, keeping the roots cool

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Man, i can't believe how long this heat wave has lasted. It is so weird for it to be in the 90s (and 100s a few times) for such a sustained time. And super smoky here today. The sun and sky were amazingly beautiful this evening with the smoke, red, purple, pinks...nope, didnt get a picture to share either!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our Kid#1 has recently been hired on as fire crew for IDL.
He's super stoked about it, he's been wanting to work fire crew for 2 years.
He called this afternoon to tell me he would be gone for the next 2 weeks fighting fires in Washington. I'm happy for him....it's what he wants to do, but I worry.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
He called this afternoon to tell me he would be gone for the next 2 weeks fighting fires in Washington. I'm happy for him....it's what he wants to do, but I worry.
Thistle I am proud of your son and grateful for what he and other firefighters do. I will keep him (all of them) in my prayers for a safe and successful fight.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It truly is sad to think remnants are all that's left. I had no idea the soil on this property was so good when I bought it. The first time I took a shovel to it I remember thinking the next scoop would hit clay. But scoop after scoop was just rich black soil until at 24 inches I hit a clean clay line. It's kind of ironic, I'm actually in town and would like to sell and move more into the country...but I hate the thought of giving up this soil. It really helps with the heat. I'm able to root my plants much deeper, keeping the roots cool
So Ken buys his dream place out in the country........and a long line of dump trucks carrying topsoil follow him to his new home.......

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's thrilled, Mom's last dark hair just turned white. All the Moms and Dads on this forum feel your heart. It's hard to let them go.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here was yesterday's sunrise, looking above my neighbor's arborvitae from my front yard:
DSC01003.JPG

Today's sunrise was even more obscured by smoke. I could hardly see the sun at this elevation from the garden. In another hour, it was completely gone and the day was as dark as an hour before "sunrise." Thru the day, the hills could only be seen for the first 100 feet or so. Above that, they disappeared in the smoke.

A hazy sun reappeared at noon.

The fires are in the Cascades, several hundred miles to the west.

Steve

Latest posts