Heat It Is

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very unpleasant days!

Wind gusts to nearly 40mph and 91°. My eyes feel ruined by the smoke! I've been taking one of those 24hrs allergy pills but added antihistamine eyedrops yesterday. I hope that is an okay thing to do. It helps my eyes and all the sneezing!

Imagine passengers from this corner of the world disembarking into the fresh air of a distant airport. We'd smell like a plane load of smoked herring!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very unpleasant days!

Wind gusts to nearly 40mph and 91°. My eyes feel ruined by the smoke! I've been taking one of those 24hrs allergy pills but added antihistamine eyedrops yesterday. I hope that is an okay thing to do. It helps my eyes and all the sneezing!

Imagine passengers from this corner of the world disembarking into the fresh air of a distant airport. We'd smell like a plane load of smoked herring!

Steve
And to think I have a problem handling the neighborhood leaf burning! I feel bad for anyone down wind of that fire. My prayers and thoughts are with those that are too close and those fighting the blaze. (Smoked herring! LOL)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Big Fire

Turns out, there is a smaller fire, and closer. This is the edge of the pine forest as you move out into the desert of central Washington. The trees are so small that they hardly warrant the name "Ponderosa." They suffered a good deal last year with so little snow and rain. This must be how a forest, goes away: (LINK).

Steve

edit to ask: do those links take you to pictures, or a twitter sign-in

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been cool here in Michigan. Low to Mid 80's and 50's at night. There have been plenty of days that we struggle to hit 80 degrees which is very un-Michigan like. We just had a run of nights where it was in the upper 40's. I don't know if we've hit 90 yet I know we've come close but by now it's usually warmer.

Lots of rain which means tall plants but disease has been an issue here with tomato plants. I swear I prune & prune and I still am fighting because we've had so many good soaking rains. I didn't get as much mulch down as I wanted to either that's been a real bone of contention with DW and me. She thinks straw mulch looks bad and instead came home with a big bag of preen that still hasn't been used. But that's another discussion for another time.

This next few days we should warm up but rain Wednesday will cool us back down looking at the 10 day forecast. Going to be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was was putting off a large smoke column you could easily see from our house last evening! hope they get it under control soon, it is up to 8,000 acres this morning. carlton complex closing in on 1/4 million acres 0% contained last I checked.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Big Fire

Turns out, there is a smaller fire, and closer. This is the edge of the pine forest as you move out into the desert of central Washington. The trees are so small that they hardly warrant the name "Ponderosa." They suffered a good deal last year with so little snow and rain. This must be how a forest, goes away: (LINK).

Steve

edit to ask: do those links take you to pictures, or a twitter sign-in
They took us to photos. Good Job Steve.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jarred77 You are having weather much like ours this summer. CRZY. But love it. Luckily the garden is flourishing with out he problems associated with wet conditions. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's nearly 11am and the thermometer is stuck at 70°! If it doesn't rise above 80° it will be the first day that it hasn't, this month. Fifteen, out of the first 19 days of July, have seen afternoon highs above 90°.

It's been hot. Today, it's mostly the clouds that are hiding the sun. I've been out prepping a bed for Canterbury Bells! So sleepy ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, don't go to sleep! Now is the time to work hard and fast while it's cool for you. You can rest on those hot days (and sleep of course). :caf

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Praying the fires get put out. In 2011, a severe drought had most of Texas on fire. There was a large fire in a neighboring county, where I have friends. Luckily none of their homes burned. I hope ya'll get some relief.

Latest posts