Heat On 1st Time

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now, ours is set to come on at 72. I think that will be lowered when it actually gets cooler. DH appears to be much more robust this fall. When he is active, he is warmer, of course.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We usually don't start a fire in the stove unless it dips into the 40s at night, but even then it's just a morning fire to take the chill off the house but not fed into the day.

That time hasn't happened here yet, though we've been overjoyed to get into the 50s a time or three lately. Can't WAIT for cold weather!!!!! :weee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had the air conditioner on in December, but that is not all the time. Turn the heat on.....maybe November. Maybe not. Dh will sometimes turn the heat on at night, then switch to AC in the day.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to 65 inside and 54 outside. The days are supposed to be getting cooler, but nighttime temps are still in the 50's so, while THEY say the temps are below normal THEY are only addressing daytime. Our typical temps for the end of September are in the 40s so I'm still in the happy zone.

I'm not sure just when I'll be turning on the heat. With Clayton, it would have already been running as he appreciated a decently (72) warm room. While I have long ran much warmer and didn't feel the cool nearly as quickly, weight loss and (perhaps) age have changed my internal temperature control, though I'm not above putting on warmer clothes and keeping the heat off as long as possible. I have cold toes and a hoodie on right now as I type. Hum, cold fingers, too. (Yup! Nose)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool enough here for warm layers already. Nights have reached the upper 40's. Windows only a crack and heat off. For now. I also do not mind wearing warm clothes all day and heavy quilts at night. Ahhh Autumn. My favorite time of the year. :) Cold fingers and nose as I type too @Smart Red

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I counted back.

We have had 19 September mornings with the temperature below 50°f. It was 51° this morning but a warm 80° yesterday afternoon.

We will be hitting temperature swings of 35° in October. You see where we are going with this: There will be a blue-sky, pleasant day with afternoon temperatures approaching 70°. Freezing will occur 12 hours later. We can be as sure of this as we can be sure that longer nights follow the shorter days ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to invest in a programmable thermostat.
Tell me about programmable thermostats, please.

Are they easy to override? You know, we mess with the thermostat during times when technological challenges are unlikely to be welcome - upon rising or going off to bed.

Bedtime would seldom be a problem, it's fairly consistent. Rising, tho ... I'm up anytime between 1:45 and 5. Sometimes I have good reason to get out of bed early. Other times,I just cannot remain horizontal for another hour!

I should be able to turn the furnace on at any time earlier than a 5am setting, right?

The overnight low was about 10°f warmer than usual, at 50° but a high of 63° hasn't done much of anything for preserving the 80° highs of the previous few days ;). Heat's on!

Steve

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
depending on the one you get they are not that hard to program. we had one in the last house & we could program it for the 7 day week. i want to get one for this house soon.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine could be programmed for 5 week days and 2 week end days, but anytime you want the heat up at a different time I could just press the "raise the heat" button. Not a problem.

The settings included M.T.W.Th.F
1. time heat comes on in the morning (about half an hour before getting up)
2. time heat goes off when family leaves for work (not something I need anymore)
3. time heat comes on when family returns from work.
4. time heat goes off at night.

SAT.SUN because there often is a different schedule on the weekends.
1. time heat comes on in the morning (about half an hour before getting up)
2. time heat goes off when family leaves for whatever if regularly leaving.
3. time heat comes on when family returns from wherever if at all.
4. time heat goes off at night.

The best part is not having to remember to turn the temp down at night and having the heat comfortable before getting up. Being retired means there's little need for the work modes, so I leave the temp the same from morning up to evening down.

Changing the temp if you get up at a different time is just as simple as it would be to turn it up without a programmable unit. I wouldn't go back to the old style again.

Latest posts