Heat On 1st Time

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far we have gotten into the upper 40's....near 50 at night. It hasnt gotten much colder yet. I'm hoping we dont have to turn our heat on until later in the month.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Extremely easy to use. My wife who is beyond incompetent on electrical devices-flip phones are too difficult for her-has no problems using but. If you can dream of a program, it can be set up easily.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just real inconsistent about what time I get up. Doing anything complicated at 2am won't make me happy but I ain't gonna let a machine tell me when I'll have a chance to be warm .. :\

The settings we use are just between 68° and about 60° but I'll need to be fully dressed and under a blanket if'n it is just me in the lazyboy and the room is 60°.

If I am showering after my regular bedtime, I'd prefer having the heat on. The bathroom register is right under my towel :).

There must have been programmable thermostats 20+ years ago when we moved in this house but its furnace was only 2 years old. I assume that the thermostat was also new. The furnace has needed little work in all those years and never a thermostat problem. We had baseboard electric heat and a fireplace insert in our home before this one. Flint and steel prior to that ...

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
New thermostats are easy to install and not all that expensive to buy ($20-40), but non-programables are even cheaper and perhaps the furnace installers just replaced the type you had. I'd suggest you go for a programmable one. With a 2 year old furnace there is little doubt it wouldn't be compatible with the programmed thermostats.

We did have an older furnace in an apartment that was not compatible with the programmables.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the problems with our old thermostat was that it was not sensitive enough to temperature change when turning on or off the heat, and turning on or off the AC. It would get really cold, then the heat would come on and run till we were burning up. Same with the AC in reverse.
Steve, if you turn the furnace up when you get up, does it heat the house quickly enough for you? It really is as simple as nudging the button up if you are cold before it's programmed to turn on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The furnace is about 22 years old. I've lived with it 20+ years with very few problems ...

... except DW all but completely ignores the thermostat ..

.. but, lots of people leave it at one temperature, 24/7. Not me! I have enough trouble sleeping at night and have needs:
Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hated my old furnace it broke down at least once every winter. Put a new one in same time central AC. 4 years ago I still have trouble setting thermostat :hide

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, it should be a set it and forget it type of thermostat. I don't reset mine from year to year. The only other button should be the HEAT, COOL, OFF function and possibly a FAN OFF, ON, AUTO.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red the house can go weeks empty. Winter I never know when I will go up. Both City house and kennel have the old fashion round ones, I like them much better. last night I was cold and thought what are you doing, your cold turn on heat.

Latest posts