It's official, I'm a real tractor chick!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dumb question can you drive that on a street ?
Not a dumb question. Yes, you can drive tractors on the street although they are usually seen going down the road. Stick a SLOW MOVING VEHICLE sign on it and you can drive it down the highway.

Since tractors are meant for working on a farm, they usually stay on or close to the farm, but around here, farmers with several farm properties drive the tractors and equipment from farm to farm.

Most are nice enough to pull over from time to time and let the line of cars pass, but a few take up the whole road and act durned right belligerent about it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do that around here, too, @Smart Red. Our country roads are so winding and hilly, sometimes traffic is backed up for a long distance. Most tractor/implement drivers are courteous and will wave you around if he can see it's clear ahead, or pull over and let you pass.
What really bothers me are the bicycle riders, who spread out over the whole road, and do not let you pass. You know darn well they are aware you are back there, because they have those little rear-view mirrors. Makes me wish I had a big bull horn to blast them with. :barnie

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the rules of the road, bicycle drivers have as much right to the roadway as other vehicle drivers do...no more, no less. It is not, however, legal for them to ride side by side and take up the whole road. Although it's not a problem where there is little traffic and they move aside for other traffic. They should be in single file except in cities where they are moving with traffic. They should also be obeying every traffic rule. It seems many bike rider pick and choose which rules to follow.

Motor cycles can be double on the road, but no more than double. Since they are moving with traffic, they have no obligation to move aside and let cars pass.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
in NH they made it law a few years ago that you have to give 6' berth around a bicyclist on the road when passing them. we had too many issues were bicyclists were being hit and killed.

as for tractors on the roadway here, depending on the tractor's size, you need to have a license plate on it if you are going to drive it on the streets with normal flow of traffic. for smaller ones that don't get to a certain speed, you have to ride it in the breakdown area with one of those orange triangle 'slow vehicle' signs. you can't impede the flow of normal traffic with those.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have some BIG farms and BIGGER farm equipment around here. One farmer I meet regularly while driving bus has planters, combines, etc. that take up the WHOLE width of a gravel road with no room to move aside. :barnieSo I need to hang back until they reach the field they are heading for or wait as far aside at a lane as I can and let oncoming tractor negotiate around ME! Figure If I try to move out of the way and sit still it will be their fault if they ding the bus up. :(
As with most things there are some good and helpful tractor driver and some as @Smart Red says that act belligerent.

Latest posts