Little bunny foo foo!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know of any use for rabbit fat. It has the unfortunate quality of oxidizing very rapidly which gives it a stale taste..

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, we want to plant some vining plants around it so that it will provide more shade. Problem is, we need to figure something that will vine, but won't harm the chickens!
What if you grew a variety of pole bean? If they are productive you can pick them and feed them to the chickens/rabbits/waterfowl on your property. Pick a bowl worth and put some in the rabbit cages, and then with all your fowl. If not, well they shade well enough and your really not out anything. Plus if they get oversized who cares? They are critter food so when you pick them is when you have time to pick them. When the weather turns as the days get shorter you have the option of pruning it back to feed to your animals, and the additional sun may help keep the chill off (for the teeny tiny chill you get in NC :D ) and you compost whatever your critters don't eat.

If you want to plant it ON the run what if you spaced out the seeds say a foot or so from the run, then strung up a wire or twine from each established plant and attached that to the fencing higher up on the run? So that way the plants can get started far enough away from the chickens to get established, then once on the run are higher up and will continue to climb so the chickens can't constantly peck at them and eat them down to nothing? I'd be surprised if didn't grow over the top of the run as well providing extra shade.

That's what I'd do vs trying to find a perennial vine that will behave itself and do what you want. That to me is a lot less work and a better use of resources than pruning something back every year.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thought I would give you guys a little sneak peak! I know the one directly in the middle is mine, because it has a purple stripe on it's tail. (She marked all ours with purple)

IMG_20130124_151946.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We picked up the buns today!!! They are SO darling!! We don't have the outside building done yet, so they're "hovering" over my bathtub... that thing gets used for so many different things it's not funny!! :lol:

Here's Austin and Barney
2013-01-29_09-52-05_481.jpg

On the way home
2013-01-29_10-29-16_432.jpg

And hanging out over the bathtub until we get the building and rest of the cages done!
2013-01-29_13-44-22_725.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They really are!! I go in a few times a day and pick each one up and hold and pet it, calling it by it's name. :) I can't wait to get the enclosure done so we can hang cages and put them outside. :-D The kids are so excited about them. They can't wait to take them to the fair! LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nacho, ya gotta love this kind of place--where you can show pics of bunnies hanging over your bath tub and everyone thinks it is great. Normal people (the un-gardened and un-animaled) would probably never sit in that bath tub again! :lol:
BTW, cute bunnies! :thumbsup

Latest posts