Mom is in Hospice Care

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, so sorry to hear this news... She is so lucky to have you in her corner! You provided her with so many happy memories- and were able to keep her independent, for as long as possible. We can all only wish that we have kids that care about us as much as you care for your Mom. Sending prayers in your direction...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the kind thoughts and words. I am such a strong person but sometimes I need to let it out. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be the hysterical type and let somebody else take care of everything, but that's just not who I am. I suck it up, pile into the middle of a crisis and get it done. But even us toughies have to sit down for a good cry once in awhile. I just wish Mom could peacefully drift away.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs
@MontyJ, yours is a beautiful post about dignity and worth. Bay, listen to Monty and know that he is right all the way!
I always considered what I did and how I treated people while they were alive to be the way I wanted to be treated. You are, as Monty said, treating your mom with all the dignity, respect, and love worth having in this life.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sitting with Mom now, holding her hand. Maybe minutes, maybe hours, a day or so. She told me a couple days ago she was afraid of being alone. It broke my heart. She won't be alone.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, your post had me crying and praying for you and your family. You are doing the best thing you can do. I worked as a hospice nurse for almost 4 yrs and loved every minute of it.

A nursing home is really limited as to what kind and amounts of meds they can give or how much staff time they can devote to a dying patient, but hospice has more liberty to dispense meds for comfort, more training on how to ease the pain and discomfort in the dying process and also staff that have nothing else to do but see your mother...they don't have to answer call lights or needs from other patients, just time for their hospice patient. I've sat at the bedside of a patient for 9 days straight and that's pretty common...the company I worked for stayed there at bedside until the very end so the patient was never alone. I loved that.

Every single patient on Medicare has hospice benefits available to them, so Medicare pays for both things at the same time...nursing home AND hospice care. There is no either/or on that billing. Hospice takes over providing end of life meds, oxygen services, briefs, and other medical equipment they need but the nursing home continues to provide the room, food, nursing care and nursing assistant care, all the while hospice provides nurses and nursing assistants as well. It's double the staff and double the individual care for a patient on hospice and you simply cannot get that by using a nursing home alone for end of life care.

I admire you so much for honoring your mother's wishes about this time in her life...not many have the courage to do so and will often impose their own feelings on the matter, delaying the end for their own benefit but don't often think of what their loved one is going through. Leaving this world is a precious time, much like coming into it, and it's wonderful when a person can get what they want at that time. :hugs Praying that she is one moment with you and the next with the Lord. I've seen that moment happen in the eyes of a few patients and it was the most wonderful thing I've ever seen, the pure joy and light that shines from their eyes cannot be described.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugsDearest Bay you are in my prayers and my heart. :hugsHospice was there for Mom and then for Dad. They are a blessing. Let them help you as well as Mom. :hugs Keep us posted.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feel your pain. You did all a daughter can do.

Latest posts