My strange remuddled house

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim Walters homes were popular here in Texas too. They only built them to 90% complete, no carpet or flooring, and financed them at 10% interest. There are lots of them around, mostly small, plain and in need of updating.

I love the pine cabinets. :love They are beautiful. Clean them with Goop hand cleaner (we have discussed Goop on Red's thread) and put new hinges and knobs on them. I hate the paneling. Probably because I have lived the last 28 years in a house built in the late 60's and it has paneling. The only cure is rip it out and sheetrock--or MOVE. Sheetrock isn't that hard, have done it in other parts of the house after pipe burst in the ceiling and flooded the house. Painted paneling looks like painted paneling. (ask me how I know) You can also fill the grooves with wood putty, sand smooth and wall paper over it.

I like the front door, the leaded glass looks classy. For the curtains, I would use wood poles with finials and wood brackets from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true#!

I had imitation wood grain crown molding in the doublewide we bought and I painted it bright shiny white. I would be tempted to paint those columns red and white striped. :gig I had grooved paneling in a kitchen once that I painted red and white and painted the cabinets red. I hung red gingham curtains and it turned out real country cute. I would be willing to bet you want something more classy than that.... :) Paint would really liven that room up. What are your favorite colors? What about a close up of that fireplace?

Flooring-I just finished the floors in our home using unfinished white pine planks from Lumber Liquidators. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. I looked at flooring, but none of the prefinished stuff grabbed me. The pine is a soft wood and will show wear and dings, but I was going for a country feel. I am going to use painted 1x4's for base boards.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/srch/white+pine+flooring

Most lumber yards carry pine tongue and groove boards. What kind of flooring do you like? Tile? Wood? Carpet?

I like the closet doors. Paint would give them a nice facelift. Is that real bricks or a kind of stick on panels? And what is that little nook? A bookcase?

The last picture........a greenhouse? :D

What do you want to do with the house? What do you like best about the house and what do you not like? Is the roof good, plumbing, electrical? Or do they need work? Those are kinda basics that have to be done first before the cosmetics of paint and decorating.

I would suggest doing one room at a time, look in flea markets, garage sales and craigs list for that one of a kind item that you fall in love with.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
If no 2nd floor only attic, I would bust thought ceiling into attic . Make room have a vaulted ( cathedral ) ceiling with some skylights. It would open that room right up.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You could start a whole new decorating trend, 'country porch' :D... attach a couple sections of porch rail to that post and put a book ledge on top... add some porchy furnishings and it was meant to be.

That linoleum :eek: ... if there's a concrete slab under it, I've seen where they just stain the concrete and use big rugs, it actually looks pretty cool and easy maintenance.

Now the snakes IN THE HOUSE, nope! ... I couldn't do it! :hide ... :hide I wish I didn't have that fear!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No attic.
No basement.
7' ceilings.
The beam is right over DH's head. Can't remove it.
We kept the cabinets.
I scrubbed the whole interior with hot water and trisodium phospate. And Super Clean. Works like a charm on nicotine smoke.
Only the main house is on one level. Our house is NOT handicap accessible. You have to step up...or down..to get anywhere else in the house.
We laid a temp floor over the kitchen one. The previous owners had actually laid 1/4" plywood over the whole main floor, then topped it with over gooped cheap Dollar Store 12"x12" vinyl tiles. It will come up in one piece...but I didn't discover what they did till almost 1.5 years later. By then, we were already living in it.
The back addition, (which we don't use) has black mold. (That's how we got the house so cheap) The bank owner dropped it like a hot potato.
Building codes? Here???
We have talked to many here with similar situations on their properties.
No central heat/air. The previous owners had installed those oldler propane fireplace things. We calculated the propane usage....no way we could afford to use them. They are both gone now.
Old nasty window/wall a/c units all over the place. We have removed most...still have 2 in the walls to remove.
The ancient wall oven remaining in the kitchen is coming out...THIS WEEKEND :weee
I removed the door, and told hubby it is on our list for the weekend. It is useless and takes up valuable cabinet space I need.
We have no closets.
No pantry.

Oh...it goes on and on.

But it's paid for :celebrate

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Before and Afters...house exterior.

Attachments

• double bridges 6-26-10 014.JPG
    double bridges 6-26-10 014.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 165
  • double bridges 6-26-10 015.JPG
    double bridges 6-26-10 015.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 135
  • double bridges 6-26-10 020.JPG
    double bridges 6-26-10 020.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 159

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phew!!
7 HUGE brush piles we have burned so far. We have another one that needs to be moved and burned.
More pics.......

Attachments

• double bridges 6-26-10 019.JPG
    double bridges 6-26-10 019.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 175
  • double bridges 6-26-10 025.JPG
    double bridges 6-26-10 025.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 142
  • double bridges 6-26-10 030.JPG
    double bridges 6-26-10 030.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts