Painted Mountain Corn

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean about trying to capture all that humble beauty with a camera. We need to send some to Kassaundra so she can do it justice.
I had such a good time husking them, each one is so unique...I got a little giddy with the thrill of opening each new one....:p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My little cheapo digital camera comes nowhere near capturing the real beauty in the depths of the kernels.

7504_painted_mountain_corn010.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will resurrect this thread. I read it all and I have a question. Is Painted Mountain a dent or a flint corn? I have a Family Grain mill and it is not recommended to mill flint corn with it. Also, did ya'll eat it fresh and did you freeze any? Or did you let it dry for cornmeal?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems that we had that discussion and Seedcorn had an answer. What I know is that it is called a "flour" corn, Bay'.

I quickly looked back thru this thread and isn't it Sad how those Picasa pictures have been "disappeared?" I fully blame them. Those are still in my albums and I could edit them back in. Picasa changed the url, the only thing I can figure. Any you'd like to see, I think I can find them.

Steve
Oh! And, I certainly didn't try it fresh!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I planted Daymon Morgan's Kentucky Butcher corn. It made nice ears, I let them dry for cornmeal. I still have plenty, but I want to plant more corn for this year. I am looking for "those perfect for me varieties" that grow well for me in this area. So I want to try corn varieties until I find a few favorites. Painted Mountain looks so pretty! :love

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a beautiful corn Bay! There is so much variation in each ear, but my favorite kernel color was the ruby reds.
I didn't eat it fresh either, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it. I think it would be considered a dent corn. It sure makes good cornbread.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom, did you use a grain mill to grind it or did you soak it and use a blender?

I guess I am just going to have to order this corn-it's so pretty! I wanted to order Texas Gourdseed flour corn, but there isn't any seed available this year-have to wait for next year.

Latest posts